[comp.lang.lisp] CLX with KCL. How do I load TCP?

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (10/28/88)

I am trying (again) to run CLX with KCL.  When I start to load clx, it
tries to load tcpinit.lsp.  The code here consists only of:

(in-package "TCP" :use '("LISP"))
(si:faslink "tcp/tcp.o" "tcp/kcltcp.o tcp/socket.o -lc")

This immediately generates an error of the form:
error: cannot find the external symbol FASLINK in the #<"SYSTEM" package>

So, I tried (apropos 'faslink):
	system::faslink
	faslink
was the response.  Ok, so it must be an internal symbol.  I tried
(si::faslink ...)

error: the function SYSTEM::FASLINK is undefined

so I said (describe 'si::faslink)
	SYSTEM::FASLINK -- internal symbol in SYSTEM package

Well, now what?   I checked the KCL source code to see if there was
any documentation where faslink was defined, and to my surprise, there
was no mention of faslink in ANY of the source.  None.  Not a spot.
Being very inexpert in common lisp, I am now at a complete loss.  Has
anybody out there been through all this and remembers what they went
through to get CLX running?  Should I just give up on this until I can
get the (inferred missing) sources out there?  Am I being really
stupid?

Andrew Thomas

harrisr@rpics (Richard Harris) (10/29/88)

Either you do not have a BSD based system (I don't know
what you can do in this case), or you made some mistakes
when installing your KCL.  Installation directions are
in the file doc/porting.  In particular, the first line
of the files o/makefile and unixport/makefile should be
MACHINE = your-machine-type, where the allowed machine
types are the ones checked for in the file h/include.h.
If your machine type is not listed there, you will need
to do the things listed in doc/porting.  The function
SI:FASLINK will not be defined unless h/include.h does
a #define BSD for your machine type (see the file
c/unixfasl.c).

Rick Harris

jeff@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (10/31/88)

In article <ANDREWT.88Oct27223218@watsnew.waterloo.edu> andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:
>This immediately generates an error of the form:
>error: cannot find the external symbol FASLINK in the #<"SYSTEM" package>

It should be there.  Perhaps you have an old release of KCL.
Mine says June 3, 1987.