[comp.lang.lisp] XEROX 1108 LISP

miken@mirror.TMC.COM (11/08/88)

HELP

I AM CURRENTLY CLEANING HOUSE FOR MY COMPANY AND FIND THAT I HAVE 5
XEROX 1108 LISP MACHINES WHICH MUST GO.  MY COMPANY HAS GENEROUSLY
OFFERED TO DONATE THESE 2 AND 1/2 TO 3 YEAR OLD ITEMS (AND MONITORS) TO A
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION THAT COULD USE THEM.  WOULD YOU BELIEVE HOW DIFFICULT
IT IS TO GIVE AWAY EQUIPMENT WHICH ORIGINALLY COST ALMOST 200K?  IF ANYONE
OUT THERE KNOWS OF A SCHOOL OR OTHER SIMILAR NON-PROF ORGANIZATION
WHICH COULD BENEFIT FROM THESE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

welch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Arun Welch) (11/09/88)

In article <211100004@mirror>, miken@mirror.TMC.COM writes:

> I AM CURRENTLY CLEANING HOUSE FOR MY COMPANY AND FIND THAT I HAVE 5
> XEROX 1108 LISP MACHINES WHICH MUST GO.  MY COMPANY HAS GENEROUSLY
> OFFERED TO DONATE THESE 2 AND 1/2 TO 3 YEAR OLD ITEMS (AND MONITORS) TO A
> NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION THAT COULD USE THEM.  WOULD YOU BELIEVE HOW DIFFICULT
> IT IS TO GIVE AWAY EQUIPMENT WHICH ORIGINALLY COST ALMOST 200K?  IF ANYONE
> OUT THERE KNOWS OF A SCHOOL OR OTHER SIMILAR NON-PROF ORGANIZATION
> WHICH COULD BENEFIT FROM THESE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

To those schools and organizations looking into this a s a great way to get
free machines (which it is), note that Xerox/Envos software licenses don't
transfer, so you'll have to get a license from them to run the Lisp, and it
costs $10K list (discounts will apply, depending on your situation). We ran
into this earlier this year, but since we ended up using the machines for
spare parts for our existing 1108 base instead of running lisp on them, we
didn't have to pay.  It's still a good price for a lispmachine, though.

...arun

ps. Mike, I've forwarded your message to Info-1100, too.

Arun Welch
Lisp Systems Programmer, Lab for AI Research, Ohio State University
welch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
info-1100-request@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu