[comp.lang.lisp] foreign functions

jkp@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Peckol) (11/09/88)

I am interested in finding out what it takes to get foreign functions into
Franz Lisp and what restrictions might apply.  In particular, I would like to
be able to bring in C functions.  The Franz manual is pretty much useless in
this area.  I am running Franz Opus 38.92 on a Sun under Sun Unix version 3.2.

I understand that someone has taken the time to actually work through this and
has published a paper outlining the steps.  Either a summary or pointer to the
paper would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jeffr@aai2.uucp (Jeff Rininger) (11/10/88)

In article <5901@fluke.COM> jkp@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Peckol) writes:
>I am interested in finding out what it takes to get foreign functions into
>Franz Lisp and what restrictions might apply.
>[. . .]
>I understand that someone has taken the time to actually work through this and
>has published a paper outlining the steps.

	You are probably looking for:

	  "Parlez-Vous Franz ?  An Informal Introduction to Interfacing
	   Foreign Functions to Franz Lisp," by James R. Larus, PAM-124,
	   Computer Science Division, Department of Electrical Engineering and
	   Computer Sciences, UC Berkeley, 1983.

	Since the paper has a "PAM" id, I believe it was published by the
	Pure and Applied Mathematics Dept, even though it says "Computer
	Science Division" on the cover. . . .

				- jeffr