[comp.lang.lisp] C vs Lisp

king@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.COM (James King) (12/12/88)

Does anyone have results on any and all Lisp software ports to C?
Has the C implementation performed "better" (your definition)?

Were you able to port functionality directly from the Lisp
implementation to the C code?  What applications required C++ for
example?  How has the KEE port from Lisp to C behaved?  (And/or ART?)

mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) (12/13/88)

I've heard of several projects that have been ported (or rewritten) from LISP
into other languages (C), presumably for speed (or FORTRAN for portability).

Can anyone tell of the reverse, rewriting some reasonably large procedural
program into LISP, presumably for flexibility or embedding in a LISP
environment. Some of the LISP editors might qualify.

barr@pineapple.bbn.com (Hunter Barr) (12/15/88)

In article <447@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
>Can anyone tell of the reverse, rewriting some reasonably large procedural
>program into LISP, presumably for flexibility or embedding in a LISP
>environment. Some of the LISP editors might qualify.

ZETA-C, the Lisp-Machine C-compiler, works by translating C into LISP,
which is then passed to the Lisp-Machine's LISP compiler.  The man who
wrote it is Scott Layson (GYRO@KESTREL.ARPA), so he could probably
tell you a lot.
                            ______
                            HUNTER