[net.movies] NEED HELP: strange old movie w/ "PINK BUBBLE"

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) (02/12/86)

	This newsgroup may not be appropriate for this posting,
but since you are all experts on movies here goes:
	About ten or so years ago I recall seeing a strange movie on
TV and haven't been able to find anyone who also saw it. [Actually I've
only gotten strange looks :-)] What I'd like to know is the title
and date it was made (plus any other info you feel like throwing in
for free). Here's the description:
	There was a group of people who were apparently isolated from
others for some reason. They lived in what resembled a small village
of sorts. They were kind of like prisoners, yet were free to go about
their business as long as they didn't stray from their "village."
I don't remember who they were supposed to be or who was controlling
them. They appeared like ordinary people rather than criminals or
freaks of any sort. In the morning, the people in control would wake
everyone via loudspeakers that were located around the "village."
	The really bizarre thing about the movie was the way the
people who attempted to escape were recovered: The escapee would
be chased by an object that resembled a *BIG PINK BUBBLE* that would
capture the person. The person would then be taken back to the
"village" inside this *BIG PINK BUBBLE* from which they couldn't
exit no matter how hard they kicked and punched!
	So if anybody recalls anything at all about this bizarre
movie please let me know. All I can offer in return is that you
will have helped this poor, ridiculed guy gain revenge on a few others
that think I'm full of you-know-what. Thanks!

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (02/12/86)

> 	This newsgroup may not be appropriate for this posting,
> but since you are all experts on movies here goes:
> 	About ten or so years ago I recall seeing a strange movie on
> TV and haven't been able to find anyone who also saw it. [Actually I've
> only gotten strange looks :-)] What I'd like to know is the title
> and date it was made (plus any other info you feel like throwing in
> for free). Here's the description:
> 	There was a group of people who were apparently isolated from
> others for some reason. They lived in what resembled a small village
> of sorts. They were kind of like prisoners, yet were free to go about
> their business as long as they didn't stray from their "village."
> I don't remember who they were supposed to be or who was controlling
> them. They appeared like ordinary people rather than criminals or
> freaks of any sort. In the morning, the people in control would wake
> everyone via loudspeakers that were located around the "village."
> 	The really bizarre thing about the movie was the way the
> people who attempted to escape were recovered: The escapee would
> be chased by an object that resembled a *BIG PINK BUBBLE* that would
> capture the person. The person would then be taken back to the
> "village" inside this *BIG PINK BUBBLE* from which they couldn't
> exit no matter how hard they kicked and punched!
> 	So if anybody recalls anything at all about this bizarre
> movie please let me know. All I can offer in return is that you
> will have helped this poor, ridiculed guy gain revenge on a few others
> that think I'm full of you-know-what. Thanks!
> -- Doug Williams AT&T Bell Labs Reading, PA

Movie?  I don't know of such a movie.
There was a TV program called _The_ _Prisoner_.
I believe it was British.  It ran on Public TV in Milwaukee and Madison WI
a couple times.   The protagonist was a British secret agent
who had resigned, and almost immediately there after been nabbed and
taken to "The Village".  There he was only called number 6 (everyone was
called by a number).  At the village they tried many forms of psychology
to get him to tell them why he had resigned.  He (and we) never knew who
had him and he spent much of his time trying to find out who #1 was.
The immediate opponent was generally called #2. #2s changed fairly often.

Further discussion should go to net.sf-lovers.
(although what this has to do with frisco i don't know :-)

--johnathan a. tainter

P.S. Some rock group did a song about the prisoner.

jsf@rlgvax.UUCP (Steven Fritzinger) (02/13/86)

> 	This newsgroup may not be appropriate for this posting,
> but since you are all experts on movies here goes:

You're right about that.  A better place to have posted is net.tv since
you are referring to _The_Prisoner_ a British tv show about a spy who came
in from the cold.  Patrick Mcgoohan (sp?) played Number 6, the spy from
_Secret_Agent_Man_, who after he resigns, is kidnapped and taken to the
Village.  Here Number 2, the person who _seems_ to run the Village, does
all sorts nasty things to him in a running attempt to get information from
him.  The entire seris is very haunting because you are never sure if the
Village is being running by the people Number 6 used to work for or the other
side, Number 2 changes almost every episode, and they never say what
information they want.  The wad of bubble gum you remember is Rover the guard
of the Village.  It still plays on PBS sometimes, and is worth staying up
late for.

--

Steve Fritzinger
CCI-OSG Reston,Va.

GUY: "There's a ramp about 1/2 a mile ahead."
Jerry: "But I'll kill myself!"
Girl: "Oh, come on Jerry!"
Jerry: "I'll kill you too, you silly bitch!"

ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) (02/14/86)

In article <> daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) writes:

>	About ten or so years ago I recall seeing a strange movie on
>TV and haven't been able to find anyone who also saw it . . .
> . . .
>	There was a group of people who were apparently isolated from
>others for some reason. They lived in what resembled a small village
>of sorts. They were kind of like prisoners . . .

What you saw was an episode of the classic TV series "The Prisoner", with
Patrick McGoohan.  The setting was as you described, and featured McGoohan
as a British secret agent who retired suddenly and without giving his reasons,
and who was subsequently kidnapped and hauled off to "The Village", where
they (whoever "they" were) tried to find out why he resigned.

The series ran 17 episodes, and is in syndication.  All 17 episodes are also
available on videocassette; your local video rental store may have them.
Mine does.

Despite my rather lame summary above, this was really a very powerful and
entertaining series.  It is worth trying to track down.

Further dicussion to net.tv, please.

.rne.

Ernie Longmire     ( {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unmc!ma3166ay )
"I'm looking for my pipe bomb...I left it here a while ago and now it's gone."

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (02/15/86)

In article <561@mhuxl.UUCP> daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) writes:
>	About ten or so years ago I recall seeing a strange movie on
>TV. They lived in what resembled a small village
>of sorts. They were kind of like prisoners, yet were free to go about
>their business as long as they didn't stray from their "village."
>	The really bizarre thing about the movie was the way the
>people who attempted to escape were recovered: The escapee would
>be chased by an object that resembled a *BIG PINK BUBBLE* that would
>capture the person. The person would then be taken back to the
>"village" inside this *BIG PINK BUBBLE* from which they couldn't
>exit no matter how hard they kicked and punched!

This was the excellent TV series imported from England "The Prisoner",
in which our hero was sent to this island by the English secret service
for violating some rule or other. It was a Kafka-esqe story line
full of paranoid delusions which often came true. It was aired on
Sunday afternoons in 1968. I think it was more creative than Star
Trek in many cases.

People in the village rode around in golf carts, and referred to each
other by number. Our hero was 6, and was always pulling some trick on
#2 to escape, but the big balloon always got him.

Jan Stubbs    ....sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs
619 485-3052
NCR Corp.
San Diego

>                1
>              1   1
>	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
>	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
>	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
>      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
>    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

guy@fluffy.UUCP (One Hip Dude) (02/15/86)

"Who are you?"
"I am number 2."
"Who is number 1?"
"You are number 6."
"I am not a number!  I am a Free Man!"
(sinister laughter)

Am I remembering it correctly?
--
                                   -- guy k hillyer
{decvax,linus,allegra}!genrad!enmasse!guy

"Reality is a sandwich I did NOT order."	- Zippy

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/18/86)

In article <561@mhuxl.UUCP> daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) writes:
< about a show with a BIG PINK BUBBLE >

Named Rover, no less.

This was not a movie, but rather a television series starring Patrick McGoohan,
late of "Secret Agent Man", as a spy who resigns his job, only to be gassed.
When he wakes up, he is in a small burg called simply "The Village". Everybody
here has a number instead of a name ... Patrick McGoohan is never referred to
by anything besides Number 6 throughout the entire series. The place is
governed by the ever-changing Number Two.

Number 6 spends most of his time trying to find out who Number One is, who
runs the island (his government, or an enemies), and how to escape.

I think there are 17 episodes to "The Prisoner", the name of the series.
Including a final wrap-up episode which must be seen to be believed.

- Bruce Holloway
  The New Number Two

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/18/86)

"Where am I?"

"You are in The Village."

"Who are you?"

"I am the New Number Two"

"Who is Number One?"

"You are Number Six."

"Where is this place?"

"That would be telling."

"What do you want?"

"Information... Information... Information..."

"You won't get it!"

"By hook or by crook, we will."

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

(Maniacal laughter)

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (02/19/86)

In article <195@fluffy.UUCP>, guy@fluffy.UUCP says:

>"Who are you?"
>"I am number 2."
>"Who is number 1?"
>"You are number 6."
>"I am not a number!  I am a Free Man!"
>(sinister laughter)
>
>Am I remembering it correctly?

Yes, you are.  Excellent series, but I always thought the line went
"You are, Number 6."  Think about it carefully in the context of the
ending of the series.

Be seeing you...
-------

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>