[comp.lang.lisp] common lisp object system

kempf@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Jim Kempf) (07/29/87)

In article <4111@felix.UUCP>, preston@felix.UUCP (Preston Bannister) writes:
> >CLOS is Common Lisp Object System, and it is an object-oriented
> >extension to Common Lisp that is being designed and developed by
> >several members of the ANSI Common Lisp committee (much of the work
> >seems to have been done by Symbolics and Xerox).
> >You can probably get the current draft documentation on this from
> >Gregor Kiczales or Danny Bobrow at Xerox.  Sorry, I don't know their
> >network addresses, but my guess is Bobrow@XEROX.COM would get to him.
>
> All right, does anyone out there know more about CLOS?  I read the
> Common Loops paper in the last OOPS proceedings and was quite
> interested.  I'd like to hear more...

In addition to Xerox and Dave Moon of Symbolics, Dick Gabriel, of Lucid, Inc.,
Patrick Dussud, of TI, and myself have been actively involved in
the design. There have been numerous other contributors from the
Common Lisp community who have given occasional input.

An initial specification of the language is available as a Tex
document on parcvax.xerox.com via ftp in pub/pcl/doc, also on
sail.stanford.edu (but I don't know where). Dvi files are available
on parcvax in addition, in case you don't have Tex. Barring that,
you can write to the ANSI X3J13 committee chairman Bob Mathis
at mathis@ada20.isi.edu and ask him how to get ANSI X3J13 documents
87-002 and 87-003.

The specification of the language level (programmer interface) was
provisionally accepted by the ANSI X3J13 Common Lisp standardization
committee in Palo Alto this spring. Outstanding issues at the programmer
interface level yet to be resolved are instance initialization,
automatic propagation of class changes to instances, and compilation
optimization. In addition, the issue of the metaobject protocol (
a kernel language for implementing other object oriented languages)
remains open, but was recognized as seperate from the language itself.

The CLOS subcommittee is currently considering initialization and
propagation of class changes, and some minor issues which were missed
in the first round.

As far as implementation goes, there is a freely distributable implementation
available from Xerox which is an ongoing evolution from the old CommonLoops.
Write to commonloops-coordinator.pa@xerox.com for information on how to
get it. The latest release has maybe the 1/3 most important features of
CLOS implemented, and Gregor Kiczales (principle implementor) is gradually
evolving it toward a full, portable implementation of CLOS, somewhat in
the manner that Spice Lisp was evolved to Common Lisp. There are a
number of implementation specific modifications which need to be made
to the portable version to customize it for particular implementations of
Common Lisp. Most of the major vendors have already done so and are
tracking the portable version. In general, the portable CLOS tends to
be a fairly rigorous test of Common Lisp, and unless you have a full
implementation of Steele, it won't port. However, if you do have a
full implementation, it is usually possible to port in a day to
a couple days.

At OOPSLA in Orlando this fall, there will be a workshop on CLOS
and probably a paper or two, plus lots of discussion. The design
committee is sure to be there, and we'll be looking for questions
and comments.

	Jim Kempf	kempf@hplabs.hp.com

kempf@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Jim Kempf) (07/30/87)

The Tex macros for the specification were lacking from parcvax.
If anybody wants them, send me e-mail and I'll mail you the file.
I can't guarantee they'll work, however, since fonts and other such
may be missing from your local Tex system.

		Jim Kempf	kempf@hplabs.hp.com

bruceo@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Bruce Oscarson) (01/06/89)

The university that I attend is trying to get a version of
the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS) for their VAX.  DEC has
not been able to help them.  If anyone has any information that
might help in this search, it would be greatly appreciated.

bruceo@iscuva.ISCS.COM
...!uunet!iscuva!bruceo