[comp.lang.lisp] Xerox 1108 update

miken@mirror.TMC.COM (01/14/89)

I wish to thank everyone who expressed interest in my offer of Xerox lisp
machines which I made some time ago...Although there were many serious
and worthwhile requests, there were far too few machines to go around.
The ultimate decision was based on the recipient organizations'  (two fine
universities) ability and commitment to support the equipment.
There were also other mitigating factors such as the recipients' ability
to quickly remove the equipment.

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (01/15/89)

In article <211100005@mirror> miken@mirror.TMC.COM writes:

>The ultimate decision was based on the recipient organizations'  (two fine
>universities) ability and commitment to support the equipment.
>There were also other mitigating factors such as the recipients' ability
>to quickly remove the equipment.

I must say that it is precisely "offers" such as these that make me
think all the more highly of Stallman, or of Taiichi Yuasa and Masama
Hagiya, the authors of Kyoto Common Lisp. We could not come up with the
ludicrous license fees that Xerox demanded, and if it weren't for those
other people I wouldn't be able to get any work done.