[comp.lang.lisp] modest LISPs for the 386

lebowitz@Morgan.COM (Mike Lebowitz) (01/27/89)

I recently purchased a 80386-based machine (AST 386C) and am looking
for a version of LISP to run on it.  I am not after something as
elaborate as the full-blown Common LISPs from companies such as Lucid
and Gold Hill that cost $1000+ and require 3Mb+ of memory.  On the
other hand, I would like to be able to take advantage of more than
640Kb of memory, a feature that most of the low end LISPs seem to
lack.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive (<$500)
LISP that can use expanded (or extended) memory.  (Is XLISP able
to use such memory?)  Similarity to Common LISP is a plus, but
complete compatibility is not a requirement.

thanks in advance,

Michael Lebowitz
(lebowitz@morgan.com)

dbetz@mipsmag.UUCP (David Betz) (02/07/89)

In article <215@rappel.Morgan.COM>, lebowitz@Morgan.COM (Mike Lebowitz) writes:
> LISP that can use expanded (or extended) memory.  (Is XLISP able
> to use such memory?)  Similarity to Common LISP is a plus, but

No, XLISP can't use extended memory on a 386 unless you're running a
386 version of UNIX or OS/2 or a DOS extender.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/10/89)

:
>No, XLISP can't use extended memory on a 386 unless you're running a
>386 version of UNIX or OS/2 or a DOS extender.

Which is not that difficult to do.
I run XLISP 2.0 compiled with Metaware High C 286, running under the
Phar Lap DOS Extender.  Since the extender is "bound" to the executable,
XLISP appears to be a standard DOS .EXE file.

Not only is more memory usable to XLISP, but it also runs faster since the
protected mode program is "SMALL" model rather than "LARGE" model. (Small
model in 80386 protected mode limits one to 4 Gigabytes.  If you need more
than you are back to segments again :-) ).

Running under an 80386 UNIX is also possible, but the XLISP user interface
(break facility) is not as sophisticated.  With OS/2 you are running in
80286 protected mode, which would not be as fast.

The only disadvantage to using the DOS Extender is that it won't work when
the 80386 is running in virtual 8086 mode, as happens with Window/386,
QEMM, or 386ToTheMAX.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM
Standard Disclaimers Apply

akm@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/11/89)

Many of us in our department have begun to use TI Scheme for situations
where we need to program in Lisp. It is an excellent implementation,
is highly standard (Scheme is much more standardized than Lisp), and
the TI version has support for both extended as well as expanded memory.
The student price is $57, and it comes with extensive documentation.

Highly recommended.

Kartik Mithal

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/12/89)

<3772@uoregon.uoregon.edu> akm@drizzle.UUCP (Anant Kartik Mithal) :
-Many of us in our department have begun to use TI Scheme for situations
-where we need to program in Lisp. It is an excellent implementation,
-is highly standard (Scheme is much more standardized than Lisp), and
-the TI version has support for both extended as well as expanded memory.
-The student price is $57, and it comes with extensive documentation.

I also like TI Scheme quite a bit (although people around here may not
believe me :-)  However, according to my information the Student
version 3.0 differs from the Professional version 3.0 by NOT including
the extended/expanded memory support, or the external language
interfaces.  Both versions have some IBM PC graphics support (which I'm
not too familiar with).  Based on versions 1.0 and 2.0, the
Professional package should cost around $100 - $150 ?

lth@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Lars Thomas Hansen) (02/12/89)

-
-I also like TI Scheme quite a bit (although people around here may not
-believe me :-)  However, according to my information the Student
-version 3.0 differs from the Professional version 3.0 by NOT including
-the extended/expanded memory support, or the external language
-interfaces.  Both versions have some IBM PC graphics support (which I'm
-not too familiar with).  Based on versions 1.0 and 2.0, the
-Professional package should cost around $100 - $150 ?

The price of the Professional package is in fact $99 from TI; some software
vendors go as low as $79 + s&h.

However, I have used Scheme for some (student) work, and I have to agree
that it is a very nice package.

--lars