[comp.lang.lisp] Source to Lisp in C or pascal

umbra@blake.acs.washington.edu (Walter Parker) (03/03/89)

Does anyboy know where I can get the source to a lisp interpreter
done in either C or pascal in the public domain (or real cheap.)

This is for my apple //gs, so a copy with as little OS dependances would be
nice.
                                      Walter Parker

umbra@blake.acs.washington.edu      Walter Parker
umbra@max.acs.washington.edu        Mailstop FR-35
UMBRA@MAX                           University of Washington
                                    Seattle, WA 98195

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/06/89)

One of the most disappointing areas in the Apple II world is its minimal
software development environment.  For the whole Apple II line, only 1 C
compiler and a number of assembers are available - well, I dont know if
Pecan Systems is selling for the non-apple IIgs arena, but if so, that company
may provide a few other languages.

On the other hand, looking at the Amiga/Atari/Mac/IBM PC arena there are dozens,
if not hundreds, of programming languages to chose from, including smalltalk,
lisp, actor, etc.

Perhaps someone with more ambition than brains <that is a joke folks> would
like to take a crack at porting xlisp (should be available from a ftp site
near you - the only place I could guess would be uunet) from ms-dos to prodos?

--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (03/10/89)

In article <850@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

| One of the most disappointing areas in the Apple II world is its minimal
| software development environment.  For the whole Apple II line, only 1 C
| compiler and a number of assembers are available - well, I dont know if
| Pecan Systems is selling for the non-apple IIgs arena, but if so, that company
| may provide a few other languages.

I thought they (Pecan) were selling languages for Apple IIe/IIc's, and CP/M.

| On the other hand, looking at the Amiga/Atari/Mac/IBM PC arena there
| are dozens, if not hundreds, of programming languages to chose from,
| including smalltalk, lisp, actor, etc.

I agree - Apple II development is pitiful.  But there are SOME notable
exceptions: Kyan Pascal and ZBASIC to name two.

| Perhaps someone with more ambition than brains <that is a joke folks> would
| like to take a crack at porting xlisp (should be available from a ftp site
| near you - the only place I could guess would be uunet) from ms-dos to prodos?

XLISP should also be available from SIMTEL20 in its MSDOS archives.  Why
doesn't someone try to port Small-C to Prodos?  I've thought about it once
or twice myself, but you know how those large programming projects tend
to grow on you.

         [david]

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/2 ::::: WittiNet: "Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice." ::::::
UseNet:  ...{rutgers|ucbvax|harvard}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!rat
ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu        {decvax|att}!

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (03/11/89)

In article <539@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
-->
-->I agree - Apple II development is pitiful.  But there are SOME notable
-->exceptions: Kyan Pascal and ZBASIC to name two.
-->
The problem is that Kyan for instance is out of business!  And Zbasic isnt
doing so hot as far as I have been able to find out.

-->
-->XLISP should also be available from SIMTEL20 in its MSDOS archives.  Why
-->doesn't someone try to port Small-C to Prodos?  I've thought about it once
-->or twice myself, but you know how those large programming projects tend
-->to grow on you.
-->

There have been a couple of folks who have mentioned in the past doing
a port of Small C.  The one done by Byteworks generates p code.  I have
heard in either Dr Dobbs or The C User's Journal that someone else was working
on a port which generated 6502 family assember, but have never been able to
locate a source.
--

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (03/16/89)

In article <539@madnix.UUCP>, rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
> In article <850@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
> |
> | One of the most disappointing areas in the Apple II world is its minimal
> | software development environment.  For the whole Apple II line, only 1 C
> | compiler and a number of assembers are available - well, I dont know if
>
> XLISP should also be available from SIMTEL20 in its MSDOS archives.  Why
> doesn't someone try to port Small-C to Prodos?  I've thought about it once
> or twice myself, but you know how those large programming projects tend
> to grow on you.
>
>          [david]
Small-C has been available for some time in the ProDOS -based ORCA/M package.
In fact, I purchased an older version of it at a discount. If you have ORCA/M
then look in the APDAlog for the ORCA Small-C product.

What we really need is a FULL C that runs on all 64K ProDOS capable Apples (or
clones) and supports 6502, 65C02, 65C802 and 65C816 output. I previously made
a posting asking for interest in the area because I have an Apple II+ with the
WDC65C802 installed. There was some response, "but you know how those large
programming projects tend to grow on you" to quote. I'll keep working, but a
solution from a large company with better support would be welcome...

Brian Willoughby			microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
		or			uw-beaver!microsoft!brianw
		or just			microsoft!brianw