[comp.lang.lisp] What does LOAD do?

andrew@jupiter.ADS.COM (Andrew Neuschatz) (03/31/89)

I'm writing an equivalent of LOAD that can read streams besides those from
files (specifically from string input streams).  So I need to find an official
explanation of what Common Lisp LOAD does besides read s-expressions from a
file and EVAL them.  So far, all I know is that it saves the value of *PACKAGE*
and restores it afterwards, and something is done so that (EVAL-WHEN
(...LOAD...) ...) will work.  But can anyone tell me what else it does, if
anything, and how exactly it does the two things I know of?

This is underspecified in CLtL: "If the first argument [to LOAD] is a stream
rather  than a pathname, then LOAD determines what kind of stream it is and
loads directly from the stream."  (Page 426.)

Please e-mail to me.  I'll post a summary if I learn anything interesting.

Thanks
Andrew
andrew@ads.com

In article <7428@zodiac.UUCP>, I wrote:

>This is underspecified in CLtL: "If the first argument [to LOAD] is a stream
>rather  than a pathname, then LOAD determines what kind of stream it is and
>loads directly from the stream."  (Page 426.)

Whoops; this wasn't very clear.  I meant to say that I originally intended to
just use LOAD, and indeed that worked with Franz Allegro Common Lisp on a Sun,
but it doesn't work on a Symbolics.  I get the impression it should in Common
Lisp, but it's underspecified.

- Andrew