[comp.lang.lisp] Unix Vs LISPm Religeous Wars, was Re: Tired C programmer...

roberts@studguppy.lanl.gov (Doug Roberts) (05/02/89)

[Stuff about how tiresome Unix development environments can be]

[Stuff about how wonderful LISPm's are]

[Much more of this and it will begin to sound like the stupid grep vs.
search wars going on in comp.software-eng]
.
.
.
Haven't we all heard this before? LISPMs are superior for developing
LISP code. Granted. After all, that's what they were put on this world
for.

Unix boxes are superior general purpose machines.  My point, (being
made from the point of view of a former Symbolics bigot), the one I
attempted to make about three follow-ups ago, is that each environment
has its strengths and weaknesses. My own personal choice, after fours
years of life in front of a 3600 was to switch to a Sun.  And while
I've cursed the sparsness of the LISP environment on the Sun as
compared to my old 3600, my overall productivity has improved because
of the other tools provided by Unix (grep, find, pipeing, awk, troff,
tbl, eqn, me, tar, fsck & format [ever try to repair a bad block on a
Symbolics disk? It can be done. It's not fun. For that matter, have
you ever tried to boot your Symbolics diskless after its disk
cratered?]...).

On the optimistic side regarding LISP on the Unix boxes, I suspect
that better development environments will be forthcoming. I've seen
improvements in Lucid's product, and it wouldn't surprise me if other
vendors (Envos, Franz, Symbolics??) didn't try to capture some of the
Unix LISP market by providing more powerful development environments
than currently exist.

--Doug

Douglas Roberts
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Box 1663, MS F-602
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545
(505)667-4569
dzzr@lanl.gov

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (05/03/89)

In article <ROBERTS.89May1220004@studguppy.lanl.gov> roberts@studguppy.lanl.gov (Doug Roberts) writes:

>compared to my old 3600, my overall productivity has improved because
>of the other tools provided by Unix (grep, find, pipeing, awk, troff,
>tbl, eqn, me, tar, fsck & format [ever try to repair a bad block on a
>Symbolics disk? It can be done. It's not fun. For that matter, have
>you ever tried to boot your Symbolics diskless after its disk
>cratered?]...).

There is equivalent functionality for all of these on a LISPM.  There
just buried deep in the source code :-)

I agree that some of the low level file system leaves much to be
desired, but (to be realistic) I doubt it was really ever polished up
for non-techy use.  That what's field support is for.

>On the optimistic side regarding LISP on the Unix boxes, I suspect
>that better development environments will be forthcoming.

Soon or later.  Unfortunately it will be later and we've been hearing
this for a LONG time.
--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (05/03/89)

In article <1133@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>, raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
> I agree that some of the low level file system leaves much to be
> desired, but (to be realistic) I doubt it was really ever polished up
> for non-techy use.  That what's field support is for.

That's also why I could buy a Sun a year for what I was paying for hardware
and software field support contracts.  I would have had enough left over
to have each of the new Suns supported as well.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.ists.ca
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	uunet!attcan!ists!mike

buff@pravda.gatech.edu (Richard Billington) (05/05/89)

1) Fixing bad blocks is straight-forward now (lmfs:fix-file or si:fix-fep-file).

2) Annual maintenance on a MacIvory is around $500, the XL400 is similarly low
   but I don't have an exact quote, so I won't say. However, the Ivory technology
   has solved the big hardware maintenance cost problem for the future.

3) The biggest "problem" I'm aware of for Symbolics/Lispms in the ongoing
   "religious" wars is that for every 1000 unix boxes there's only 1 lispm. If
   the reverse were true, I suspect that unix wouldn't even be a recognizable
   word to most folks. It's really pretty primitive; a brilliant use of a couple of
   fairly simple ideas about file systems extended to be an operating system. A lispm
   was originally conceptualized as a program deveopment environment, not as a file
   system. The article that started this off and subsequent comments of "boy I'd miss
   piping, etc" only emphasize to me how broken people's concept of the right way to
   do things can become.

4) I've been a system administrator of both Symbolics Lispm's and unix workstations.
   System admin of unix is a holy terror by comparison (I've done both on and off for
   the last 6 years).

5) Please define "general purpose". A Symbolics runs C, Fortran, Pascal, Lisp, Flavors,
   and Prolog. Symbolics-based graphics systems are state-of-the-art (don't believe me?
   they've won an Emmy and have a massive presence at Siggraph). They now have a
   powerful hypertext system, an object-oriented, distributed, database system, several
   expert system construction tools, state-of-the-art CAD/CAM systems, Macsyma, X-windows,
   TeX and a TeX previewer that actually works (and has for a couple of years), etc. So,
   please, what does this mean: Lisp machines are not general purpose, but unix is?