[comp.lang.lisp] Wanted: information on lisp object systems

ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (05/19/89)

I would like some references to any objects systems that work
with common lisp or scheme.  I've heard of ClOS and SCOOPS, but
don't know where to find information (papers would be best) on
either.  I'm using the T language really, I would like any information
specific to it also.

--
Peter Ham			PO Box 3430	(415) 324-4782
MS Computer Science Student	Stanford, CA	ham@polya.stanford.edu

barr@pineapple.bbn.com (Hunter Barr) (05/19/89)

In article <HAM.89May18105220@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:

>I would like some references to any objects systems that work
>with common lisp or scheme.  I've heard of ClOS and SCOOPS, but
>don't know where to find information (papers would be best) on
>either.  I'm using the T language really, I would like any information
>specific to it also.

In any full implementation of Common Lisp you can get an
implementation of CLOS called PCL (for Portable Common Loops, an
ancestor of CLOS).  Most implementations of Common Lisp also have
another object system called Flavors.  The Lisp Machine operating
system is written in Flavors.  Flavors has been highly respected for
years, and PCL CLOS is actually not quite finished yet, but the
current pre-release of PCL is very good, and it is definitely the wave
of the future.  I'd go with CLOS, which for now means PCL.

Now bear in mind that Common Lisp on the one hand, and Scheme dialects
like T on the other hand, are quite different.  *Quite* different.
I'm sure there is object oriented programming in some (maybe all)
dialects of Scheme, but I haven't seen it yet.  If you find one,
please let me know.
                            ______
                            HUNTER