[comp.lang.lisp] LeLisp vs Common Lisp

hand@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Chris Hand) (07/20/89)

I'm forwarding this for a friend who has no news access.

Please reply directly to him by e-mail at:

       b.nutter@umist.ac.uk (preferred)
  or   banutr@umist.ac.uk
  or   b.nutter%umist.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (ARPA)

Thanks.

* Anybody out there know the differences between LeLisp (from INRIA, v15.2)
and CommonLisp?

* If not, could anyone summarise the features of CommonLisp?

* Are there any object-oriented extensions to CommonLisp?

* Does anybody else out there use LeLisp (particularly on apollos)?

* Is there a newer version of LeLisp for apollo workstations than 15.2, and if
so, does it perform any better, or have any new features?

Thanks.

Bob Nutter
UMIST Computation
Manchester
UK
Tel: 061 200 3312
-----
  -----------------------------------------/----------------------------------
  Chris Hand  hand@gec-mi-at.co.uk        / Tel: +44 727 59292 x4202
      or:     hand@miduet.uucp           /  "Governing a large state is like
    UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!miduet!hand  /    boiling a small fish." -- Lao Tzu

flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (07/21/89)

Le Lisp is a small, old Lisp, which I've seen only on a Macintosh.  There's
no point in detailing the differences between it and Common Lisp; there's no
similarity beyond their both being Lisps.
	I was asked to port an object system written in Le Lisp to Common
Lisp, and refused.  It was much easier to port Portable Common Loops, which
is a great object system, nearly an implementation of the CLOS standard,
almost written in Common Lisp, and free.  You may be able to ftp it from my
~flash/pcl; if not, let me know by Saturday morning, and I'll try to mail
it.  (After that I'm moving to the States.)
--
---
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

jeff@aiai.uucp (Jeff Dalton) (07/24/89)

In article <1166@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> @Sun.Com:FlashsMom@cup.Portal.com,@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk writes:
>Le Lisp is a small, old Lisp, which I've seen only on a Macintosh.  There's
>no point in detailing the differences between it and Common Lisp; there's no
>similarity beyond their both being Lisps.

I don't think this is quite fair to Le Lisp.  Le Lisp *is* a small Lisp
compared to Common Lisp; it's more along the lines of MacLisp or Franz.
However, it has a good implementation and runs on a wide range of machines.
There is an active user community in France, and a smaller one elsewhere.

sritacco@hpdml93.HP.COM (Steve Ritacco) (07/24/89)

> Le Lisp is a small, old Lisp, which I've seen only on a Macintosh.  There's
> no point in detailing the differences between it and Common Lisp; there's no
> similarity beyond their both being Lisps.

Le Lisp is not an "old Lisp" it was created at about the same time as
Common Lisp.  It was created to be a decendant of Mac (not Macintosh) Lisp
much as Common Lisp was (though Common Lisp is more a decendant of
Zeta Lisp).  One of Le Lisp's primary goals was a portable implementation.
Le Lisp runs on just about everything (VAX, Apollo, Sun, etc.).  It is
generally considered to be "small and nice" though I have no basis for
opinion.  If you are looking for some papers about it, try the proceedings
of the (I think 1984) ACM conf. on Lisp and Functional Programming.

Good Luck!