[net.movies] 28 Up

ebm@ingres.berkeley.edu.ARPA (Grady Toss) (02/23/86)

"28 Up", a fascinating documentary, has just started playing here this past
week.  It appears to have originally been an English television program, as
it's divided into a few segments ("End of Part 1", etc.)

The film travels through time to present a picture of a number of different
individuals at four different ages, 7, 14, 21 and 28.  I imagine this film
is a by-product of a more in-depth study that was being done, but the
version produced here for mass consumption is very very interesting.  Seeing
the changes these individuals go through from childhood to adulthood, and
seeing the *lack* of changes in some sense, is amazing.

... gt

Ps. The main drawback of viewing this, is going away with the wish that someone
had shot hours and hours of 35-mm film of you riding your bike, pounding on
your brother, and just being a child.

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/25/86)

In article <202@ingres.berkeley.edu.ARPA> ebm%ingres.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.ARPA (Grady Toss) writes:
>"28 Up", a fascinating documentary, has just started playing here this past
>week.  It appears to have originally been an English television program, as
>it's divided into a few segments ("End of Part 1", etc.)
>
>The film travels through time to present a picture of a number of different
>individuals at four different ages, 7, 14, 21 and 28.  I imagine this film
>is a by-product of a more in-depth study that was being done, but the
>version produced here for mass consumption is very very interesting.

"28 Up", which is indeed worth seeing, is the fourth in a series of
documentaries.  "7 Up" was the first, "14 Up" the second, and "21 Up"
the third.  Every seven years, director Michael Apted seeks out a group
of twenty or so men and women.  All they have in common is that they
were all British citizens at the age of 7.  They come from disparate
social and economic backgrounds.  Apted, though now a big Hollywood film
director, started as a documentary maker for the BBC, and the first of
these films was his first big break.  The original idea was to follow
the children to discover just how large an effect the British class
system had on them.  While this emphasis still shows in "28 Up", Apted
seems to take a broader interest now.  I imagine the show will be
absolutely irresistable to those of British backgrounds, and extremely
interesting to those who aren't.  Among other things, it does indeed
give an interesting view of the effects of class in Britain.

--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU