[net.movies] IRON EAGLE

mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) (02/10/86)

This film makes RED DAWN look sensitive and plausible.  It continues the
recent trend of "red-bashing", this time against the Middle East.
All I can say is this:  the hero, whom I am sure we are supposed to root
for, is a dangerously crazed little psychopath who endangers himself
and his friends and should probably be locked up for life.  I can only
hope that this turkey flops miserably at the box office.  Not even the
flying footage is worth watching, and the soundtrack seems to have been
designed for 12-year-olds, as is I guess the whole mentality of the film,
which in a nutshell is this: "It's OK to use force in a cause that looks
good to you."

Lou Gossett must be hard up for parts these days -- it's a shame.

	Mike Caplinger
	mike@bellcore.arpa
	ihnp4!bambi!mike

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/10/86)

In article <275@bambi.UUCP> mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) writes:
>  I can only
>hope that this turkey flops miserably at the box office.  Not even the
>flying footage is worth watching...

I went to this movie expecting nothing more than a boy Rambo type of
film, but I figured it would be worth it to see F-16s flying around.
Unfortunately, the flying is even worse than the plot.

If you want to see: bombs which magically disappear and reappear on
airplanes, F-16s with an infinite supply of bullets (real F-16s only
carry 500 bullets), rockets, and bombs (they never seem to run out of
arms), bullets which act like rockets, and some very bad flying, see
this movie.

--
 Real men don't have answering machines.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin) (02/13/86)

   I haven't seen this movie but when people who have seen it and say things
like

> (real F-16s only carry 500 bullets)

   It makes me think (actually know) that they don't know what they're talking
about. Ah, Excuse me an F-16 has (I think) four Vulcan cannons which fire
(I think) 300 rounds per second.  500 bullets is thus about 1 1/2 second of
firing.  Sorry even the Air Force ain't that stupid.  I believe that an F-16
has about 30000 bullets....

                 Enjoy

                     Merlin

{ UUCP  sunybcs!daemen!fox    }

   Cursa you Bonzai !!!!!

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife,
Doomed isa your soul anda damned isa your life.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/17/86)

In article <1585@daemen.UUCP> fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin) writes:
>> (real F-16s only carry 500 bullets)
>
>   It makes me think (actually know) that they don't know what they're talking
>about. Ah, Excuse me an F-16 has (I think) four Vulcan cannons which fire
>(I think) 300 rounds per second.  500 bullets is thus about 1 1/2 second of
>firing.  Sorry even the Air Force ain't that stupid.  I believe that an F-16
>has about 30000 bullets....

I stand by my claim that an F-16 only has about 500 bullets and suggest
you check it out before shooting your mouth off any further.

--
 Real men don't have answering machines.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

>>> [real F-16s only carry 500 bullets]

>>I believe that an F-16 has about 30000 bullets.... [plus comments about
>>various people's stupidity or lack thereof]

>I stand by my claim that an F-16 only has about 500 bullets and suggest
>you check it out before shooting your mouth off any further.

Well, since Phil saw nothing wrong with shooting HIS mouth off again, I
decided to check this out.  According to Jane's 1973-1974 (when there was
only a prototype) F-16's were slated to carry 500 rounds.  This does not
include gun pods carried externally, but I have no idea whether these could
actually be mounted on an f-16; they are normally attached to tanks like
A-7s and A-10s.

C. Wingate

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/21/86)

In article <1585@daemen.UUCP> fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin) writes:
>> (real F-16s only carry 500 bullets)
>
>   It makes me think (actually know) that they don't know what they're talking
>about. Ah, Excuse me an F-16 has (I think) four Vulcan cannons which fire
>(I think) 300 rounds per second.  500 bullets is thus about 1 1/2 second of
>firing.  Sorry even the Air Force ain't that stupid.  I believe that an F-16
>has about 30000 bullets....

I looked it up. An F-16 carries a single GE M-61A1 Vulcan 20mm Cannon,
which is a cluster of six cannon barrels, firing at rates of 6,000
rounds per minute, considerably lower than the 18,000 rounds per
minute claimed by fox@daemen. The F-16 carries exactly 500 rounds.
Most high speed fighters (F-14, F-15, F-4, F-104) carry under 1000
rounds.  Most other aircraft which use the M-61A1, such as the A-7,
F-106, and the F-105, carrry just a little over 1000 rounds.  It is
possible (but not often done) to attach gun pods to the F-16's five
hardpoints. Each gun pod (Suu-16/A or SUU-23/A) carries 1,200 rounds.
However, in the movie "Iron Eagle", firing was clearly shown as being
done with the internal gun.

As long as we're talking about people who don't know anything about
airplanes, I have long been bothered by the way "Airwolf" likes to
shoot AGM-65 Mavericks at other aircraft. The Maverick is a television
guided air-to-surface missile. It is only effective against stationary
or slow-moving ground targets that are unable to move beyond a
missile's limited field of view before being struck. I suppose I
shouldn't be surprised.
--
 Are you making this up as you go along?

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (02/21/86)

>>> (real F-16s only carry 500 bullets)
>>I believe that an F-16 has about 30000 bullets....
> I looked it up.

My God!  Someone write down the date!  If only more people would
check their data before posting...  Thanx!

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/23/86)

In article <9762@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>As long as we're talking about people who don't know anything about
>airplanes, I have long been bothered by the way "Airwolf" likes to
>shoot AGM-65 Mavericks at other aircraft. The Maverick is a television
>guided air-to-surface missile. It is only effective against stationary
>or slow-moving ground targets that are unable to move beyond a
>missile's limited field of view before being struck. I suppose I
>shouldn't be surprised.
>--
> Are you making this up as you go along?
>
> Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
> UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!phil
> ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

It also bothers me that somebody in hollywood thinks that you can hang a
chain gun off a landing gear pod.  Har har har har...(gee, makes you wonder
how he manages to tote munitions into that `cave' all the time!)

On a side note, maybe we should start mailing letters of protest to the
producers of Airwolf; in all those `missed missile' shots, I'm almost certain
that they've wiped out a rock-climbing route or two, no?

-dave

--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

williams@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Thomas Williams) (02/23/86)

In article <9590@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1585@daemen.UUCP> fox@daemen.UUCP (Merlin) writes:
>>> (real F-16s only carry 500 bullets)
>>
>>   It makes me think (actually know) that they don't know what they're talking
> >about. Ah, Excuse me an F-16 has (I think) four Vulcan cannons which fire
> >(I think) 300 rounds per second.  500 bullets is thus about 1 1/2 second of
> >firing.  Sorry even the Air Force ain't that stupid.  I believe that an F-16
> >has about 30000 bullets....
>
> I stand by my claim that an F-16 only has about 500 bullets and suggest
> you check it out before shooting your mouth off any further.

        An F-16 suprisingly was designed for AIM-9 Sidewinder missles
and an INTERNAL GE M61 cannon plus 500 rounds of ammo.  Believe it or
not!  There are 7 hardpoints.  One underneath the fuselage three under each
wing plus of course the Sidewinder rails.

                                                        -taw

What I want to know is what the hell did they make Pat Sajek out of?
I realize they're working with all sorts of neat skin-like polymers
out at Disney but someone did a real bang up job with him.

ralph@inuxc.UUCP (Ralph Keyser) (02/24/86)

I was really disappointed with this film technically. They went to
all the hassle of working a deal with the Air Force to get ahold of *real*
F-16's to film, and then they blew it bad with poor special effects.
(I'm even willing to ignore the fact that their "Migs" looked like Kfirs)
The ground explosions didn't look right, and the aircraft exploding
in mid-air were even worse.

The F-16 really does only carry enough ammunition for about 5 seconds
of firing its internal Vulcan cannon. That's exactly 500 20mm rounds.
For missions where strafing of ground targets is expected, an external
cannon pod (they come in 20mm and 30mm varieties) is mounted on a
hardpoint.

				Ralph Keyser

bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) (02/28/86)

> >As long as we're talking about people who don't know anything about
> >airplanes, I have long been bothered by the way "Airwolf" ...
>
> It also bothers me that somebody in hollywood thinks that you can hang a
> chain gun off a landing gear pod.  Har har har har...(gee, makes you wonder
> how he manages to tote munitions into that `cave' all the time!)

Well, I like the show, but must admit I was more than somewhat
disgusted when watching the pilot -- seems that Airwolf was programmed
in BASIC.  ugh!
--
-- Bryan Ewbank, 312/979-4296, !ihnp4!ihlpl!bde,
   ih 6M-523 / AT&T Bell Labs / Naperville, IL  60566