[comp.lang.lisp] hypercard --- coral linkage

db@delphi.ACA.MCC.COM (David Murray Bridgeland) (10/05/89)

Hi!

I'm not sure whether this question is better
suited for comp.lang.lisp or comp.mac.hypercard:

Is it possible to link a coral/allegro/apple lisp image
with a hypertalk program?  I.e., I'd like to have
a hypercard user interface to a program written
in coral/allegro/apple (whatever they're calling
it) common lisp.  Has anyone done this?

--
Dave Bridgeland

My plans for Saturday night?
I thought I'd just hang out at the Gas 'n Sip.

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/05/89)

In article <344@delphi.ACA.MCC.COM> db@delphi.ACA.MCC.COM (David Murray Bridgeland) writes:

   Is it possible to link a coral/allegro/apple lisp image
   with a hypertalk program?  I.e., I'd like to have
   a hypercard user interface to a program written
   in coral/allegro/apple (whatever they're calling
   it) common lisp.  Has anyone done this?

Several people have done this, but it's unfortunately still in the
kludge stage because of OS limitations.

Basically, Lisp and HyperCard need to run as separate applications
under MultiFinder.  You then set up an IPC link between the two of
them.  System 7 of the Mac OS will support real IPC (renamed 'IAC').
Until then you have to roll your own.

Rolling your own IPC is the kludgey part.  You basically need some
common memory.  three places to get this:  in a disk file (easy but
slow), in a resource of the system file (not sure if this really
works), or in a driver (fast, but you have to write the driver).
Then you have both applications polling this common memory, to
see whether it has been changed.  It's easy to poll from Lisp;
with hypercard you probably want to write an xcmd.

Once you have the IPC going, you send text back and forth.  Lisp
can read/eval what it gets, and Hypercard can do the same.

We're in the middle of a crunch now, but if you get back to me
in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can dig up someone's version
of this.

   -andrew

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (10/05/89)

In article <ALMS.89Oct5113014@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:

>We're in the middle of a crunch now, but if you get back to me
>in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can dig up someone's version
>of this.
>
>   -andrew

Hi,
The next release of ACL is going to be released in "early" Oct..  I
take it that your crunch now is due to that release.  Is there any indication
as to when APDA will get it?  Or when it will be sent to APDA?

*Inquiring minds want to know*

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/06/89)

In article <20985@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:

   >We're in the middle of a crunch now, but if you get back to me
   >in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can dig up someone's version
   >of this.
   >
   >   -andrew

   Hi,
   The next release of ACL is going to be released in "early" Oct..  I
   take it that your crunch now is due to that release. Is there any indication
   as to when APDA will get it?  Or when it will be sent to APDA?

   *Inquiring minds want to know*

Actually, my 1.3 crunch is over.  This is a different crunch.

1.3 should really be out some time this month.  Look for it at an
APDA near you :-)

 -andrew