[net.movies] Young Sherlock Holmes blooper

blake@sx7000.UUCP (Chris Blake) (02/13/86)

   Did anyone see when some older person (the dean? I forget) told
Sherlock that he read too many detective novels?  Given the period of
the SH stories and that this was even earlier than that, it should be
pointed out that detective stories hadn't been invented yet.  If I
remember Edgar Allen Poe wrote the first one "Murder in the Rue Morgue"
(or something like that) near the turn of the century.

                                   C. Blake @ Sperry Corp. Roseville MN

wvwong@watcgl.UUCP (Victoria Wong) (02/16/86)

In article <118@sx7000.UUCP> blake@sx7000.UUCP (Chris Blake) writes:
>   Did anyone see when some older person (the dean? I forget) told
>Sherlock that he read too many detective novels?  Given the period of
>the SH stories and that this was even earlier than that, it should be
>pointed out that detective stories hadn't been invented yet.  If I
>remember Edgar Allen Poe wrote the first one "Murder in the Rue Morgue"
>(or something like that) near the turn of the century.

"Murder in the Rue Morgue" was written in 1841, so Sherlock Holmes had
no problem reading that around 1870. Both Holmes and Watson had read
Poe's stories, they referred to his character Dupin in "A Study in Scarlet".
(Any BSI reading this? What do you think? :-)

"I know a Moriarty when I see one."    --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

zoro@fluke.UUCP (Mark Hinds) (03/01/86)

In article <118@sx7000.UUCP> blake@sx7000.UUCP (Chris Blake) writes:

>pointed out that detective stories hadn't been invented yet.  If I
>remember Edgar Allen Poe wrote the first one "Murder in the Rue Morgue"
>(or something like that) near the turn of the century.
>
>                                   C. Blake @ Sperry Corp. Roseville MN

	Well, if I can read right, then "Edgar Allen Poe (1809-1849)"
	implies that Poe was a ghost writer if he wrote anything around
	the turn of this century, or even the last.

Mark Hinds                     {decvax,ihnp4}!uw-beaver!--\
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.                 {sun,allegra}!---> fluke!zoro
(206) 356-6264                 {ucbvax,hplabs}!lbl-csam!--/