[net.movies] Orphaned Response

porges (02/15/83)

#R:uofm-cv:-13800:inmet:6500001:177600:326
inmet!porges    Feb  4 12:12:00 1983

	You'll never believe this, but the HBO comedy series "Not Necessarily
the News"  ran a sketch called "Gandhi Loves Tootsie."  Unless of course you
saw it and tried to impress us all with your wit -- and shame on you you
faker if so!!
					-- Don Porges
					...harpo!inmet!porges
					...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!porges

johnc (03/04/83)

#R:sdcsvax:-3500:tekcad:10800006:000:509
tekcad!johnc    Mar  3 21:14:00 1983

That sounds a lot like 'sword of doom' with Tatsuya Nakadai.  Except that
the 'hero' (Nakadai) does the killing, the master of the school is sort
of a good guy and the son or brother of the deceased trains day and night
for revenge only never really gets his chance.  Several interwoven plots
end abruptly when at a random moment the final fight scene as you describe
takes place.  Actually, it sounds like another movie, and I think I've
seen it also, but can't remember the name.  It's been awhile.  Sorry.

bin (03/06/83)

#R:hplabs:-117200:uiuceml:23200002:37777777600:312
uiuceml!bin    Feb 11 10:21:00 1983

I don't mistrust Ebert's reviews of B movies... in fact, I'm irritated
that most other critics dismiss them out of hand.  I was, however,
taken aback when Ebert had the nerve to give himself (that is, "Beneath")
three stars in his newspaper summary without mentioning his involvement
in that trashy undertaking.

ucbmonet.kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (06/11/83)

#R:uvacs:-76000:ucbmonet:20300003:37777777600:166
ucbmonet!kalash    Jun  2 16:16:00 1983

	I've seen Alphaville, and I thought it was one of the most pretensious
films I have ever seen. Not even as good as Plan 9, at least you could laugh
at that.

			Joe

hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP (07/20/83)

#R:ihnss:-158200:uiucuxc:4000049:37777777600:57
uiucuxc!hamilton    Jul 19 21:32:00 1983

sigh.  so we replace the nurd image with the brat image.

grass@uiuccsb.UUCP (11/01/83)

#R:umcp-cs:-298900:uiuccsb:10000026:37777777600:51
uiuccsb!grass    Oct 31 12:27:00 1983

The Capra film's name is "It's A Wonderful Life"

mike@hpfclk.UUCP (11/27/83)

#R:pyuxn:-28400:hpfclk:7600003:37777777600:393
hpfclk!mike    Oct 31 10:37:00 1983

 I had no idea humans were so tough.  I remember doing chemistry experiments
 in college dealing with vacuums and partial pressures, and watching water
 boil at room temperature.  I guess I've also seen ALIEN and OUTLAND a few
 too many times.  My mistake.

                                                Michael Bishop
                                          hplabs!hpfcla!hpfclk!mike

dsb@inmet.UUCP (12/10/83)

#R:ubc-visi:-51800:inmet:6500022:177600:426
inmet!dsb    Dec  2 17:53:00 1983

	Well, I am not the slightest bit interested in The Right Stuff
or the special effects (SFX?) in them, but I don't expect to see those
notes moved into a special group. I don't think the argument that some
people are not interested in X-rated movies is sufficient here. Let's
face it: if there was a separate notes group for every subject that some
readers weren't interested in, there would be one sentence in each
of them.

berry@zehntel.UUCP (02/28/84)

#R:unc:-674100:zinfandel:8300020:177600:610
zinfandel!berry    Feb 16 12:14:00 1984

Here's a double feature I want to see.  I suggested it to the honchos
in my college's Film Club (lo these many moons ago) and what we got
was Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven.  What I WANTED was

	Yojimbo/For a Fistful of Dollars

Don't recognize the first one?  It's the Kurosawa film that Clint
Eastwood and company ripped of to make FaFo$.  Kurosawa and Toho
studios sued them and won a settlement of some sort.  Yojimbo had a
sequel called 'Sanjuro' that was also very good; I don't know if it was
'westernized' too or not.

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

muller@inmet.UUCP (02/29/84)

#R:homxa:-11200:inmet:6500034:177600:180
inmet!muller    Feb 27 13:40:00 1984

Even better are the two following lines:

Waitress: Where do you want me to hold it?
J. N.: Between your knees.  (He then brushes all of
the dishes onto the floor and goes out...)

paul@uiucuxc.UUCP (03/12/84)

#R:ihuxq:-65500:uiucuxc:31100004:37777777600:205
uiucuxc!paul    Mar 11 19:01:00 1984

The Smurfs are the one exception I would make to my rule against the
casual use of nuclear weapons.  Let's make them glow in the dark.

	Paul Pomes, ihnp4!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!paul
	University of Illinois, CSO

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (03/17/84)

#R:decwrl:-578800:uokvax:3900019:37777777600:286
uokvax!emjej    Mar 14 11:13:00 1984

Let's not forget another true dog: *Astro-Zombies*, with John Carradine,
of course. By far the most memorable scenes are the titles and credits,
filmed with windup toy robots and tanks slugging it out (or at least
falling down a lot) in a sandbox.

					woof arf woof,
					James Jones

mzp@uicsg.UUCP (04/28/84)

#R:hocse:-15700:uicsg:8200008:000:159
uicsg!mzp    Apr 28 21:11:00 1984

[--]

That LeGuin novel was called "The Lathe of Heaven."
Definitely one of my all-time fave sci-fi dramatizations.

Mark Papamarcos			ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsg!mzp

jmiller@ctvax.UUCP (04/29/84)

#R:hocse:-15700:ctvax:38900010:000:114
ctvax!jmiller    Apr 29 12:02:00 1984

The Pbs Movie You Refer To Is Lathe Of Heaven And Yes I Agree That
It Was A Good Adaption Of The Book By Le Guin.

raan@hp-pcd.UUCP (05/12/84)

Well, since this seems to be getting completely out of hand ...

There actually is a movie version of "Candide", I saw it on PBS about 6
years ago.  It was well done.

Also, for those of you who appreciate the style of "CANDIDE" and "CANDY",
there is a science fiction book call "MINDSWAP" which was written in the
late 60's by Robert Scheckley (or something like that).  It is a very
funny book of the same flavor.

Raan Young
(hp-pcd!raan)

jmd@inmet.UUCP (05/24/84)

#R:abnjh:-59100:inmet:6500041:177600:415
inmet!jmd    May 23 14:04:00 1984

<Kills Bugs Dead>

When I was at the Air and Space last month, they said that the new
IMAX stuff from the shuttle would start public showings in June of
85.  For those of you who get a chance to go to Air & Space, don't
miss the films!!!!  My advice is to get your tickets early and see
them all.  I am definitely going back next summer!

					Jeff Diewald
					Intermetrics Inc.
					{ihnp4, harpo, ima}!inmet!jmd

kevin@ism780.UUCP (06/01/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-21600:ism780:18000009:177600:9075
ism780!kevin    May 31 12:18:00 1984

***** ism780:net.movies / sri-arpa!ARPA /  1:18 am  Apr 27, 1984
BROD CRAWFORD PUTS AWAY A FEW LOBSTER DINNERS FOR "DARK FORCES" ROLE.

	I know a lot of you girls were boning up for the Dallas Cowboys
Cheerleaders written test last weekend and so you didn't have time to
hang around Kip's Big Boy acting like you didn't know your Danskin
straps were hanging halfway down your arms.  Frankly, I needed the time
off, because I was sick of hearing about how goldanged frigging terrific
Vida's Stegall's tryout routine is.  It's this Interpretive Aerobicize
number called "Mr. Landry, Let's Boogie,"  and it has a lot of
Fellowship of Christian Atheletes theme songs in it and backup vocals
going:
		Get down, Tom, get down
		Gonna get down, Tom, get down
	And every time they say "get down" Vida does a double overhead leg kick
and lands upside down on her hands and comes about half-inch from
knocking her teeth out, if you know what I mean and I think you do.
	I'm sure it's truly amazing and all that, but my personal opinion is
Vida don't have a chance of a mangy scrap dog when it comes to the Texas
Stadium finals on May the fifth.  I told Vida last year she was gonna
have to change her name.  I told her she needed something like Buffi or
Terri or Sandi or maybe she could even risk it on a "y" name like Vikky,
or your "ie" like Melodie, but "a" names weren't gonna cut it.
Especially not Vida.  Tisha maybe, but not Vida.  If Vida was black, she
could go for something African like Lola Falana, but Vida's as white as
teh little box by John Glenn's name on the ballot.
	Now it's too late and there's not a durn thing Vida can do.  About all
that can happen is she can try to score a 100 on the written test.  And
even though I'm violently opposed to the Cowboys Cheerleaders written
test, because I think it's watered down the quality of teh stock the
past couple ye

barrett@hpcnoe.UUCP (06/09/84)

I know this may be another orphaned respone (sigh).  The movie described
as not being worth seeing is "Privates on Parade" which has a basenote of
May 27, 1984.  Sorry about the late response; notes was just recently brought
up on this system.

dave "receiver-of-justified-hate-mail" barrett
hplabs!hp-dcd!barrett

mcb@hpfclo.UUCP (06/18/84)

<Welcome aboard, Captain>

	I believe that the line that Scotty says
	as the trans-warp ship conks out is:

	"The more complicated the plumbing,
	    the easier it is to stop up the drain!"

	He then shows 4 small components that he has removed
	from the trans-warp engine while he was on that ship.

					But, then again...

					Mike Berry
					hplabs!hpfcla!mcb

barrett@hpcnoe.UUCP (06/23/84)

Nf-From: hpcnoe!barrett    Jun 11 22:04:00 1984

I have so much to say on how bad this movie REALLY  was  that  I  cannot
justify  the  amount  of  time and disc space it would take up to post a
proper account of it.  I'll just say that it is THE worst picture I have
ever seen anywhere, bar none.  Anything else I have seen I walked out on
or turned off.  The only reason I stayed through it was that  it  was  a
long  walk  from  denver to fort collins at midnight.  I wouldn't see it
again if I was offered $20.  I mean it.

dave barrett
hplabs!hp-dcd!barrett

rjs@hpfclo.UUCP (rjs) (07/17/84)

[]
	Ironically, our machine got Rich Rosen's answer to J.D. Brennan's
	response BEFORE it got J.D. Brennan's response. Strangely enough
	J.D. Brennan's response was dated FOUR DAYS AFTER that of Rich
	Rosen's answer to it!!! I guess that there are some big delays
	in certain notes feed paths which probably explains why we see
	so many responses to base-notes.

				Bob Schneider
				{ihnp4,hplabs}hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

dnh@hpbblb.UUCP (dnh) (08/17/84)

"Die Unendliche Geschichte" was filmed mostly at the Bavaria Film Studio
in Munich.  The "city" scenes were filmed on location in Vancouver, BC.
The German version, which was released here in April, was dubbed into
German; the original soundtrack is English.

You may ask, "why did a German director and a German producer film
a German novel in Germany with American actors?"  The answer is easy:
the film cost $25 million, and to recoup such an investment, the film
had to be a hit in the U.S. as well as here.  Because foreign films
have a somewhat poor track record in the U.S., they made it look like a
U.S. film.  I notice that in the U.S. adverts, Bavaria Film Studios is
given much less credit than Warner Bros.  Well, the former did the film,
but the latter put up a hefty portion of the gold.

If you happen to visit Munich, you can take a tour of the Bavaria Film
Studios and see some of the sets used in the film.

mit freundlichen Gruessen,
David Holinstat
Hewlett-Packard GmbH    (...ucbvax!hpda!hpfcla!hpbbn!dnh)

joe@smu.UUCP (08/29/84)

#R:trsvax:53700031:smu:15300005:37777777600:320
smu!joe    Aug 29 13:23:00 1984

I read in the newspaper this morning that the movie (Buckaroo Bonzai ...)
will be re-released in mid-September.  Seems it didn't do as well as
expected; not disasterous, but not great either.  When it comes back
out, I think I will see it soon, rather than taking a chance on
missing it again!

Joe Ramey	convex!smu!joe

michaelf@ism780.UUCP (09/20/84)

#R:ism70:13100041:ism780:18000021:177600:88
ism780!michaelf    Sep 12 10:54:00 1984

	       Bring back Wez!!!!!!!!!!!!

		     Will the Feral Kid be in the next one?

jimc@haddock.UUCP (10/05/84)

#R:olivej:-22600:haddock:13900003:177600:569
haddock!jimc    Oct  3 18:09:00 1984

Usually the music from movie musicals isn't enough to flesh out
an entire album.  Songs originally meant to be in the film but
were cut are on the album (ex. the soundtrack to "Hair" -- as a
Broadway cast recording, the album had 1 disk; as the movie
recording, it had 2), incidental music is added, dialogue included
or excluded, sometimes re-written to be shorter or longer -- any
such changes are made to make the record long or short enough.

In most cases, if it is at all possible, recordings are lengthened,
so as to make a double album, more expensive package.

muller@inmet.UUCP (10/06/84)

#R:ihuxb:-84200:inmet:6500057:177600:297
inmet!muller    Oct  5 00:47:00 1984

**
Um...regards 101 Dalmations, My folks took me to see this when I was well
under 10 years old, and I was born in 1948!!!  I think it was at least as
early as '57, becuz we hadn't moved out of the house my father built...
jim.
**
**
...'course we are dealing with old, dusty memory cells here...

kens@ISM780.UUCP (11/29/84)

I saw comfort and joy in Chicago and walked out after the first hour.
Unless you have an ice cream fetish, there is nothing of interest in
the entire film.

(Note:  I am the sister of the person whose login appears on this note
	and I am just visiting, so please do not respond.)

bmw@aesat.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (11/30/84)

[Articles are packed by weight; contents may settle during shipping]
[WARNING: contains mild flaming]

> Nf-From: ISM780!kens
>
> I saw comfort and joy in Chicago and walked out after the first hour.
> Unless you have an ice cream fetish, there is nothing of interest in
> the entire film.
>
> (Note:  I am the sister of the person whose login appears on this note
> 	and I am just visiting, so please do not respond.)

I *WILL* respond.  Bill Forsythe's movies (of which "C & J" is the latest) are
gentle comedies; well written, directed and acted.  To dismiss this film in
such an off-hand manner is boorish and unfair: unfair to other filmgoers who
read these articles looking for insights and entertainment, and unfair to film
makers, who depend on word-of-mouth recommendations to attract the desired
audience.

OK: so you were not sufficiently interested to stay for the whole thing. Fine.
I have been tempted to walk out on a couple myself.  But I think that running
around making dumb remarks like the above is indicative of an insecure person
trying to make himself appear clever and witty at the expense of causing some
other "potential enjoyer" of the movie to give it a miss.

My hope is that by responding, I will change back the minds of anyone put off
from going to see "Comfort and Joy" on the basis of this previous posting.

Bruce Walker     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!bmw

"Look at them.  Ordinary f*cking people.  I hate 'em!" - Repo Man

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (01/15/85)

I was more dispointed with 2010 than I thought I would be.

Too hokey, both in plot and sets. It looked more like it was set
in 1984 than 2010. There was no vision to it at all -- I find it
hard to believe that in 25 years we won't have advanced color display
technology beyond the CRT. I could go on and on...

Just a few random thoughts from

		-- Chan Benson
		hpfcla!hpfcma!chan

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (01/15/85)

I have to disagree on why 2001 was slow paced. It was not to play
up the visuals, but to emphasize that a long voyage in space
would be REAL BORING. *** pseudo-intellectual mode on *** In this
sense Kubrick could be compared with Melville who did the same
thing for literature in Moby Dick. There are in fact loads of
similarities between the two works.

			-- Chan Benson
			hpfcla!hpfcma!chan

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (01/22/85)

	  Did someone slight Travis?

				    Are you writing about me?
					  You must be writing about me,
						 there's no one else here....

steven@ism70.UUCP (02/20/85)

Info from Mr. Box Office:

_F_u_l_l_ _M_e_t_a_l_ _J_a_c_k_e_t is based on Gunnar Hasford's novel, _T_h_e_ _S_h_o_r_t_ _T_i_m_e_r_s.

hosking@convexs.UUCP (02/28/85)

I'll cast my vote for "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ... the only movie that I
can remember that was SOOOOO bad that I walked out of the theater before the
movie was half over.  It's not that I couldn't stand the gore; I just got
tired of waiting for SOMETHING in the "plot" that wasn't 100% predictable.

			37 gallons of blood
			62 heads roll
			13 garbonzas the size of Cleveland
			   bimbo fu
			   chainsaw fu
			NO imagination in the "plot"

			Joe Bob wouldn't wish this one on anyone!

		Doug Hosking
		Convex Computer Corp.
		Richardson, TX
		{allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!convexs!hosking

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) (03/09/85)

re: music from "Somewhere in Time"

Composed  and  conducted  by John Barry  except for 2:57 of  "Rhapsody On A
Theme Of Paganini"  (Rachmaninoff).  A "soundtrack" album is available (MCA
5154).  It has only 31 minutes of music on it, though,  and the  pressing I
have is very noisy.  The music is mainly  variations on Barry's main theme,
which is pretty.

Regards,                                                    Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                                  Fort Collins
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                           CO

dianeh@ism70.UUCP (03/20/85)

***** ism70:net.movies / ucla-cs!sdc /  9:39 am  Mar 16, 1985

> ...these two have to be one of the most appealingly mismatched pairs
> since Clark Gable stumbled over Carol Lombard running away from Daddy.

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa
        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher
----------

This is obviously a reference to "It Happened One Night" (other reviewers
have mentioned the similarities between it and "The Sure Thing"), BUT
Carole Lombard wasn't the female lead in that film -- it was Claudette
Colbert.  Carole Lombard was Clark Gable's real-life wife; maybe that was
the source of confusion.

Diane

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/25/85)

In article <81@ism70.UUCP> dianeh@ism70.UUCP writes:
>BUT
>Carole Lombard wasn't the female lead in that film -- it was Claudette
>Colbert.

Of course, you're right.  Gad, how embarrassing.  That'll teach me to write
after 1AM.
--

rml@hpfcls.UUCP (rml) (04/24/85)

> >I am trying to make a list of Sherlock Holmes movies and TV shows.
> >Of the ones I know off the top of my head are:
> >
> 	    There was a low budget movie where Sherlock Holmes tracks
> 	    down Jack the Ripper.(perhaps it was Sherlock Holmes
> 	    vs Jack the Ripper,mid sixties?)

According to a schedule from the local university:

    Murder by Decree - USA - 1978 - 121 min.
	Starring: Cristopher Plummer, James Mason, Directed by: Bob Clark
    Sherlock Holmes is hot on the trail of Jack the Ripper in what is widely
    considered the best Sherlock Holmes film ever made.

It was shown a few weeks ago, and I didn't see it.

			Bob Lenk
			{hplabs, ihnp4, csu-cs}!hpfcla!rml

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (05/08/85)

Sergio Leones original "Once Upon a Time in America" runs
around 4 hours I think.

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (05/10/85)

I disagree.  I thought "Code of Silence" was enjoyable.  Ya gotta go to
these kinds of flicks with a mind-set that refuses to compare the scenes
with reality.  I mean, NOBODY beats up people like that!  It was enjoyable
(as are most of Chuck's films) because he's the good guy, and he always
wins, and he always beats up a lot of people in the meantime.

Sure, the acting isn't too close to realism, but neither is the character!

Bill Gates

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (05/15/85)

In article <7100005@hpfcma.UUCP> chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) writes:

>Sergio Leones original "Once Upon a Time in America" runs
>around 4 hours I think.

I just saw the complete version for the first time, and I think it was more
around 3 hrs.  Wow...  What a movie!

"You killed him!  I just told you to scare him!"

"Men scare better when they're dyin'."

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (05/15/85)

>I am appalled by Mr. Friedman's "review" of A Passage to India.
>(I don't know how to include it in this posting.)
>I think he owes us all an apology, both for the obscenities and for
>his characterization of the Indian extras in the film.  While I find
>it difficult to believe that anyone could be so displeased by such a
>beautiful and interesting film, I realise that there is no accounting
>for taste, and we all have the right to express our opinions.
>Nevertheless, regardless of how strongly one dislikes a
>film, there is no need to be offensive in the review.

I agree that the review was tasteless.  However, I uphold Mr. Friedman's
right to express his views, for we all know that a "beautiful and
interesting" film might "stink" for some of us, don't we?  Mr. Friedman
owes us no apology.  I'd hate to think that we need to apologize these
days for airing our opinions.  But, Mr. Friedman, you COULD tone the
language down a bit, what?

Bill Gates
Hewlett-Packard
Ft. Collins, CO
hpfcla!bill-g

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (05/15/85)

I hate to seem like Mr. Friedman's guardian angel ( I have posted another
response of a similar nature), but I feel impelled to speak.

What you have done here, Atul, is confuse criticism of a film with
criticism of a race.  The latter is not the case.  He didn't like
the film.  He probably wouldn't have liked it with Italians, Blacks,
Whites, or any other race substituted in.  There's no need to take
direct offense.

He surely doesn't have tact - his language was bad.  He's simply
an outspoken individual.  He wasn't taking any racial or personal
shots.  It doesn't matter how fine the Indian race is - he didn't
like the film.  It doesn't matter who directed it - he didn't
like the film.  It doesn't matter that he called some Indians
"low-lives" - there are "low-lives" in all races.  Agreed - his
choice of words was unfortunate, but it's no reflection on your
race.  He didn't like the film!  Fine!  You did.  That's fine, too!

Being a sci-fi/fantasy fan myself, I probably wouldn't like the
film either (I haven't seen it), but I would hope my saying so
wouldn't invoke the wrath of the Indian race!

Personal opinion is a strange thing, Atul.  Everyone is entitled to
it, no matter how close to home it hits.

Bill Gates
Hewlett-Packard
Ft. Collins, CO
hpfcla!bill-g

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (05/15/85)

Another person taking that review personally.

Sigh.

I give up - refer to my other responses on similar base notes.

Bill Gates
Hewlett-Packard
Ft Collins, CO
hpfcla!bill-g

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) (06/30/85)

re: DAM BUSTERS ... and the local station nearly finished the job ...

Our  local  cable  outfit  runs  WOR  and I also  watched  part  of DB.  I was
wondering why it wasn't as good as I recalled from its original U.S.  release.

One thing  about DB that  really  annoyed me was that they used new footage of
real aircraft for the training  scenes, original  archival footage of the test
drops, and models for the attack  scenes - the WRONG  models.  One of the AVRO
Lancasters  that was shot down turns into a BOEING  B-17 as it hits the trees!
Considering  that  nearly  everyone in the  British  Isles was  familiar  with
aircraft identification, and DB is a British film, this was inexcusable.

And moviemakers  continue this silliness today.  WarGames  dispatched a flight
of "F15s"  to  intercept  the  Alaskan  radar  contacts  - and we cut to stock
footage of F16s (or was it vice-versa).  Whatever happened to continuity?

Bob "there's a limit to my disbelief" Niland                   Hewlett-Packard
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                       Fort Collins CO  80525

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (07/09/85)

Re: Back to the Future

Agree, it is a good, enjoyable film.  Disagree, that it is predictable.
The scriptwriters introduced a surprising amount of twists in what I
expected to be a predictable plot.  Regardless, the subtle jokes and
quick pace make this a film worth seeing just for fun.

Alan Silverstein

larry@prism.UUCP (07/09/85)

In net.movies, cramer@kontron writes:

| Speaking of which, did anyone else notice how anachronistic _Prizzi's_
| _Honor_ was?  I mean, at one point one of the characters gets out of a
| late 1970s Ford station wagon, and mid-1970s vans appear in some of the
| scenes at the industrial laundry.  (It was supposed to be a late 1950s
| or early 1960s period piece.)  I lost count of the number of items
| that were grossly wrong.

The only thing that's grossly wrong is the assumption that this
was supposed to be a late 1950s or early 1960s period piece.  What ever
gave the viewer this idea?

 Larry Appleman                  {cca, datacube, inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12}...
 Mirror Systems, Inc.                                  ...mirror!prism!larry

jeff@hpcnoa.UUCP (jeff) (07/20/85)

>                                                Turner's role
> was a clone of her Body Heat role

I think the film did not develop the Irene Walker character--which
is a glaring flaw in the film.  Perhaps the director/writers felt
that Kathleen Turner has been typecast as a ruthless killer from the
Matty Walker character in "Body Heat."  The same last name links the
two roles.  Irene's character potentially was the most interesting
because there aren't many women assassins portrayed in the movies.
Because her character isn't fully developed, her actions seemed
random.

-- Jeff Wu

jeff@hpcnoa.UUCP (jeff) (07/30/85)

    I think Rosanna Arquette also played in a small role in Blake
Edward's S.O.B.

- Jeff Wu / HP-CNO

sandy@ada-uts.UUCP (08/05/85)

It looked like Don Ameche to me too. The comedy team looked like
Laurel and Hardy. In fact, earlier in the movie when Don Ameche comes
to sweep Gwen Verdon off her feet, she's watching T.V. and it again
looks like Don Ameche in another old movie (dancing).

martyl@ada-uts.UUCP (08/06/85)

   Kelvin, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.  Please stop reviewing
movies.

Martyl

smc@mit-vax.UUCP (Stewart M. Clamen) (08/07/85)

>     I think Rosanna Arquette also played in a small role in Blake
> Edward's S.O.B.

	Yes, I just saw the movie yesterday. Her part in the movie
consists primarily of deciding whether or not to sunbathe topless.
(Guess which way she decides).

ARPA: SMC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
USENET: ...!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!smc%mit-oz

mer@prism.UUCP (10/27/85)

/* Written  8:47 pm  Oct 10, 1985 by brett@ucla-cs in prism:net.movies */
/* ---------- "Jagged Edge (short review)" ---------- */
>The ending of the movie is unusual.

Give me a break!  When the movie doesn't end immediately after the trial,
what else did you expect?  A couple of loves scenes and then fade-out?  I
don't know how I'd handle it differently, but there must be a less obvious
way to get to the ending.

Meredith Lesly {mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!mer

mer@prism.UUCP (10/29/85)

>/* Written  2:28 am  Oct 15, 1985 by daveb@rtech in prism:net.movies */
>/* ---------- "*MAJOR SPOILER* Jagged Edge plot ho" ---------- */
>1.  Was that Jeff Bridges at the end?  The picture was kind of indistinct.
>
>] When the hood was pulled back, I said to myself, "Who the f*** is that?"
>] A quick poll of the audience came to the conclusion, "It must have been,"
>] but nobody was *really* sure.  And I don't think it was intended it to be
>] ambiguous.

I certainly had no questions about it, and neither did the person I saw it
with.  And it certainly could not have been anyone else (see a previous
note I posted about this.)

>2.  Why didn't Glen Close wonder about the origin of the notes?
>
>] To do so would ruin the plot.

Well, it would have been rather hard to find out, since Santa Clara (?) is
a big place.  Oddly enough, I assumed that the woman who had been attacked
was the author of the notes, until Glenn (sp!) found the typewriter.

>3.  What was the purpose of the ashes-into-the-bay scene?  Did it make sense?
>
>] It wants to place you in a pro-Jeff mood.  How could someone
>] throwing roses on the water be the murderer? (Unless expecting someone
>] to be a witness, of which none were shown).

This, to my mind, a stylistic no-no.  It must have been a lying scene,
because, as you say, if he were the murdered he wouldn't be that
sentimental.  This reminded me of the Hitchcock movie Stagefright, in
which he has a famous scene that never happened!  He was also chastised
for that.

>4.  Would Bobby Slade *really* have confronted Glen in the parking lot?
>
>] I can't buy that.  It's just a device to scare her a little and to place
>] her in a frame of mind to aceept the possibility of Slade being the
>] murderer.  Bobby had no reason to make himself more visible.

Well, and no particular reason not to.

>5.  Why was the typewriter hidden in the closet by the bedroom?
>
>] So she could find it.  But it seems unlikely that anyone as fiendishly
>] clever as Jeff would have been that stupid.

yeah, this was a real stupid one.  Second biggest hole in the plot.

>6.  Is Glen Close the kind of woman who keeps a gun lying around the house?
>
>] No.  This rings *WRONG* *WRONG* *WRONG*.  She's escaped to corporate
>] law to not think about criminals.  She's got little kids, and knows
>] how dangerous it is to have a weapon in the house.  She is not going
>] to have one by the pillow.

Probably true, altho if one were a former DA-type person, you might be a
little nervous.

>7.  Why doens't she ask the detective to race over or call the cops?
>
>] It would ruin the emoptional satisfaction of her blasting the SOB,
>] even though it would be the sensible thing to do.  Especially after
>] she had the good sense to hit the horn in the garage with Bobby.

Ah!  This was the only clever thing in the ending, but too subtle for most
people, so it really didn't work.  Double jeopardy!  He couldn't be tried
for the murder twice.  So the only way for "justice" to occur was for her
to off him.

>  I think Glenn Close had a horrible role here.  She is supposed to go
>from hard-nosed super-counsel to weepy weak-kneed betrayed girl back and
>forth and back.  It feels very contrived, and I can't easily accept it.

Yeah, I agree.  It's real unprofessional for a lawyer to get involved with
a client like that.

>  Recommendation:  If you're into these things (murder mysteries and
>courtroom drama), by all means see it.  But you could also rent 'Blood
>Simple' from the Video store and have a lot more fun.

Also agreed. Blood Simple is great!

"When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose..."

               Meredith Lesly

{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!mer

jib@prism.UUCP (11/05/85)

/* Written 11:07 am  Oct  4, 1985 by dday@gymble in prism:net.movies */
/* ---------- "Re: BTTF Nov 5, 1955 specialness" ---------- */
I'm not sure if anyone has yet pointed this out, but a few minutes
of sleuthing the other day led me to the discovery that Albert Einstein,
author of the Special and General Theories of Relativity, died in 1955.
Surely this must be a reason for picking that year to time travel back
to.  Unfortunately, he died April 18, not November 5, so I still haven't
found a reason for the date.  Maybe they simply chose Nov 5 because they
knew that was the night that the Honeymooners episode with Ralph as a
spaceman (?) premiered (just speculating, I don't know).

--

UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!dday    Dept. of Computer Science
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

jimh@hpfcla.UUCP (12/17/85)

I, too, just saw White Nights.  I didn't have a problem with the
Russian's strategy of Nikolai performaing one show and then going
into seclusion.  I got the impression they wanted to show to the world
they had him back and then he would "not perform so he could work on
his dancing skills" or something like that.

There were two main reasons I enjoyed the flick:
   *  There was a good mix of dancing and acting.  I was impressed with
      the amount of acting Barishnakov did.  I would have expected him
      to spend the entire time dancing.
   *  I had the chance to observe some GREAT dancing when I would not
      have normally been exposed to it.  Since I'm not a big (or even
      small) ballet fan, I probably would not have put forth the
      effort to watch Barishnakov.  After seeing White Nights I
      might put forth more effort to see him again.

Overall, I would certainly reccommend White Nights.

Jim Haselmaier                           Hewlett-Packard
...{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!jimh            Ft. Collins, Colorado

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/18/85)

The story going around LA about Chris Columbus is that he writes these
marvelous screenplays that Spielberg keeps screwing up with rewrites based on
poor ideas.  I have heard that "Young Sherlock Holmes" was closer to Columbus'
original script than "The Goonies", but who can say, without seeing the original
scripts?
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

cdrigney@uokvax.UUCP (02/04/86)

/* Written  4:51 pm  Jan 26, 1986 by jimc@haddock in uokvax.UUCP:net.movies */
Jim Campbell (jimc@haddock) writes:
> About _It's_a_Wonderful_Life_:
>
> That made me wonder if they have bookstores in Heaven!!

If they don't, it could hardly be paradise!! :-)

		--Carl Rigney
USENET:		{ihnp4,allegra!cbosgd}!okstate!uokvax!cdrigney

"Only problem is, all the good authors are in the other place,
keeping Mark Twain company..."

gm@trsvax (02/16/86)

> The one major problem I had with Raiders was all of those Nazi soldiers
> in Egypt. I don't think the British would stand for such a thing, seeing
> as they were running Egypt at the time.

Remember, "Raiders" takes place in 1936. Nazi Germany wasn't at war with
anyone at that time, so why shouldn't the British government let in a
scientific archeological expedition?
						------------
						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)

mpm@hpfcla.UUCP (03/01/86)

Re:  Helen Keller as a mute character

     Helen Keller was NOT congenitally mute.  Check out the movie/play
again.  Near the end she learns to say "wah-wah" (water).  Helen learned
Braille and learned to speak intelligibly (though I can't attest to that
personally).  I believe that as an adult she did quite a bit of public
speaking.

	-- Mike "still relying on memory instead of a VCR" McCarthy
	   {ihnp4, hplabs}!hpfcla!mpm