[net.movies] Brazil question

showard@udenva.UUCP (Mr. Blore) (03/03/86)

In article <576@ssc-vax.UUCP> keith@ssc-vax.UUCP (Keith Nemitz) writes:

>   During one of the dream sequences (spoiler hint) when sam is being
>carried up on a rope by the floating cage, the ground erupts beneath
>him and grabs him.  Then a benign face pleads with sam not to go.  I have
>no idea what the benign face represents.  It doesn't look like anyone
>in the movie, and I am not sure that it's symbolic meaning is very clear
>either.  Who is this thing, and why doesn't it want sam to achieve his
>goal?

  The face was that of his superior in the Records Department at the Ministry
of Information, who had earlier made Sam promise not to accept a promotion to
Information Retrieval.  In addition to being very dependant on Sam to get his
job done (e.g. the problem with the Buttle refund check) it is suggested that
he is a homosexual (e.g. The "limp-wristed" line and his apparent jealousy of
Sam's mother).

"Everything that's befallen you happened simply 'cause it crossed your mind"
--
Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard