[comp.lang.lisp] T and Orbit

Martin-Charles@tank.uchicago.edu (Charles Martin) (11/23/89)

In article <SIMON.89Nov21182043@bear.UUCP> Simon Leinen writes:
>Of the Lisp implementations that I know of, Lucid is the only one to
>compile local functions efficiently.  I think they use a control-flow
>analysis method similar to the one introduced (?) in Orbit, the
>production-quality compiler shipped with the T system (CMU's version
>of Scheme).

T was developed at Yale University:

    Rees, J.A. and Adams, N.I. (1982).  T: A dialect of Lisp, or, lambda:
    the ultimate software tool.  Conference Record of the 1982 ACM
    Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming.

    Rees, J.A., Adams, N.I., and Meehan, J.R. (1984).  The T manual, fourth
    edition.  Yale University.

Orbit was also developed at Yale University:

    Kranz, D.A., Kelsey, R., Rees, J.A., Hudak, P., Philbin, J., and Adams,
    N.I. (1986).  ORBIT: An optimizing compiler for Scheme.  Proceedings of
    teh SIGPLAN 1986 Symposium on Compiler Construction.

    Kranz, D.A. (1988).  ORBIT: An optimizing compiler for Scheme.  Ph.D.
    Dissertation, Yale University Technical Report #632.

Charles Martin // martin@gargoyle.uchicago.edu