[comp.lang.lisp] LISP/X-Windows interfaces

sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (12/05/89)

I would like to hear from anybody who is involved (or has been involved)
in using X-Windows in a LISP environment.  The obvious problem is that
there is a wealth of information on using X in a 'C' programming
environment, but very little with regard to LISP.  We have clx running
on Sun SPARCs in our shop, but this appears to be a preliminary,
experimental package under development.

I am especially interested in the following questions, but I would
appreciate any other wisdom you may have to offer.

1. Our version of clx (which came bundled with the X library we got
for the SPARCs) is a 1988 copy.  Have any further releases come
out?  Are they available via FTP?

2. How feasible is it to write low-level routines for performing
X functions in C and have that compiled code called from LISP?
The advantage there is to use the power of all the example code
currently available that is written in C.

3. Does anyone use ALLEGRO COMMON WINDOWS, which uses X windows and
clx?  If so, is this a productive environment.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Sandell

* Greg Sandell, Institute for Learning Sciences, Evanston, IL *
* sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu                                  *

snicoud@bcsaic.UUCP (Stephen Nicoud) (12/07/89)

   From: sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell)
   Subject: RE: LISP/X-Windows interfaces (query)

   I would like to hear from anybody who is involved (or has been involved)
   in using X-Windows in a LISP environment.  The obvious problem is that
   there is a wealth of information on using X in a 'C' programming
   environment, but very little with regard to LISP.  We have clx running
   on Sun SPARCs in our shop, but this appears to be a preliminary,
   experimental package under development.

   I am especially interested in the following questions, but I would
   appreciate any other wisdom you may have to offer.

   1. Our version of clx (which came bundled with the X library we got
   for the SPARCs) is a 1988 copy.  Have any further releases come
   out?  Are they available via FTP?

There is a release (R3, I believe) on ti.com. (/pub/clx.tar.Z).  You'll
also find clue.tar.Z.  CLUE (Common Lisp User-interface Environment)
provides a programmatic object-oriented user interface.  It is built on
top of CLX and CLOS (Common Lisp Object System).

   2. How feasible is it to write low-level routines for performing
   X functions in C and have that compiled code called from LISP?
   The advantage there is to use the power of all the example code
   currently available that is written in C.

   3. Does anyone use ALLEGRO COMMON WINDOWS, which uses X windows and
   clx?  If so, is this a productive environment.

I have no experience with either 2 or 3.

You might also look into LispWorks from Harlequin (Cambridge, England)
lispworks-request@harlqn.co.uk.  Their window system is built on CLUE.
--
Stephen Nicoud	<snicoud@atc.boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Advanced Technology Center for Computer Sciences