[net.movies] "The Beast Master" Movie

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (02/08/86)

One of our local tv (non-network) stations advertised that last night they were
showing "The Beast Master" and being a fan of Andre Norton, I thought that I
would watch it.  While it may have been an above average movie (the animals
were wonderful) it certainly did not follow the book at all.  The only
similarity was a man who had a bird (eagle?), large cat, and two ferrets for
companions.  The setting was different, the plot was different, etc.  I would
have thought that the book would have made a good movie, but someone in
Hollywood did not.

No wonder Jean Auel is suing the studios over The Clan of the Cave Bear!
--Bill--

hutch@hammer.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (02/09/86)

In article <436@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>One of our local tv (non-network) stations advertised that last night they were
>showing "The Beast Master" and being a fan of Andre Norton, I thought that I
>would watch it.  While it may have been an above average movie (the animals
>were wonderful) it certainly did not follow the book at all.

Not unusual since it wasn't based on the Andre Norton story at all.
But don't feel bad, I thought it was based on her story until I read
the review in the paper.

Hutch

In article <436@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>One of our local tv (non-network) stations advertised that last night they were
>showing "The Beast Master" and being a fan of Andre Norton, I thought that I
>would watch it.  While it may have been an above average movie (the animals
>were wonderful) it certainly did not follow the book at all.  The only
>similarity was a man who had a bird (eagle?), large cat, and two ferrets for
>companions.  The setting was different, the plot was different, etc.  I would
>have thought that the book would have made a good movie, but someone in
>Hollywood did not.

        If you noticed, there was no mention of Andre Norton anywhere
in the credits. After she saw what they had done to the plot, she
refused to have anything to do with the film. I have it from very
reliable sources that she was very upset abnout what they did to it.
        By the way, those same sources tell me that *another* Norton
book is being prepared for filming(they now have the first draft of
the script and a financing contract from a studio) This time Andre
Norton has retained creative control the script will not be used
unless she approves of it. So it should be very good. I cannot say
much about it, the studio has all the publicity rights, but I have
heard pieces of the script and it seems quite well done. If we are
lucky, they may start filming sometime this year. My source for all of
this is Andre Norton's film agent. He is a great fan of Norton, and is
dedicated to the making of *good* science fiction films. Anything he
has much say about should be quite good.
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (02/20/86)

>         By the way, those same sources tell me that *another* Norton
> book is being prepared for filming(they now have the first draft of
> the script and a financing contract from a studio) This time Andre
> Norton has retained creative control the script will not be used
> unless she approves of it. So it should be very good.

Don't be too sure.  I understand F. Herbert retained creative control
of DUNE and look at the abomination that was.

--johnathan a. tainter
The opinions expressed here are not mine but GOD's relayed through me.

In article <1649@ihlpg.UUCP> tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) writes:
>>         By the way, those same sources tell me that *another* Norton
>> book is being prepared for filming(they now have the first draft of
>> the script and a financing contract from a studio) This time Andre
>> Norton has retained creative control the script will not be used
>> unless she approves of it. So it should be very good.
>
>Don't be too sure.  I understand F. Herbert retained creative control
>of DUNE and look at the abomination that was.

	It is not just that that gives me confidence in the new film.
I know the man who is putting the package together, and I trust his
judgement in these matters. He is a film professional with a strong
commitment to quality in Science Fiction films. Also, I know one of
the technical advisors being used on the film, and in his area of
expertise he is very good. Also, I have heard excerpts from the
script, and was suitably impressed. Of course enough pressure from the
studio to make it conform to "standard" SF film style could still ruin
it. If that happens, I will hear about it plenty fast.