[comp.lang.lisp] X windows and functional languages

sandra@minster.york.ac.uk (01/22/90)

I'm in search of advice.

Please would you contact me if you have experience of
interfacing with X windows using a pure functional language,
or know of someone who has?

Thanks.

Sandra Foubister		Telephone +44 904 432777
Department of Computer Science
University of York		sandra@uk.ac.york.minster
YORK Y01 5DD                    sandra%york.minster@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
                                sandra%uk.ac.york.minster@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay
United Kingdom			ukc!minster!sandra

larsen@imada.dk (Soren Larsen) (01/24/90)

sandra@minster.york.ac.uk writes:

>Please would you contact me if you have experience of
>interfacing with X windows using a pure functional language,
>or know of someone who has?

Could responses to this query please be posted to the net?  I am
interested as well.
    Soren Larsen.
--
Soren Larsen / larsen@imada.dk
Dept. of Math. & Computer Science, Odense University

briscoe-duke@CS.YALE.EDU (Duke Briscoe) (01/25/90)

I don't know of anyone who has actually interfaced X to a purely
functional language.  However, I can point out that some of the issues
involved in doing sequences of I/O operations using a non-strict
purely functional language are addressed in the specification of I/O
for the language Haskell, (see the Haskell report).  The Yale Haskell
compiler is nearing its release date.  Here at Yale, I think some
people have been working on interfacing X to T, and our Haskell
compiler is built on top of T, so if the people adding X to T have
been successful, it would be pretty easy to add X I/O operations as
part of the Yale Haskell I/O system.

Duke

des@elberton.inmos.co.uk (David Shepherd) (02/01/90)

In article <12729@cs.yale.edu> briscoe-duke@CS.YALE.EDU (Duke Briscoe) writes:
>I don't know of anyone who has actually interfaced X to a purely
>functional language.

there's some sort of X interface option to Standard ML from Edinburgh -
I've not used it but I know there is a X option in building it. I think
sml@lfcs.ed.ac.uk is the mail address to contact for details.

david shepherd
INMOS ltd

ps of course this all depends whether you consider SML to be a
functional language :-)