[net.movies] Right Stuff soundtrack

ria@ptsfd.UUCP (Rich Anderson) (02/25/86)

     An excellent soundtrack album would be one from The Right Stuff.  However,
I cannot find one, and I couldn't find a reference to one in the film's
credits.  Was one not released for this movie?

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (03/04/86)

In article <60300004@ism780> steven@ism780 writes:
> Bill Conti won an Academy Award for "The Right Stuff", but the soundtrack
> was not released. Conti has, however, arranged for the soundtrack album
> for "F/X" to include one side of music from "The Right Stuff". Should
> be in stores soon, from Varese Sarabande.

You've really gotta appreciate Varese Sarabande.  They're bringing out a lot
of hard-to-get soundtracks, older or recent, on the status of the music, not
the film.  While I found _RAMBO_ and _SUPERGIRL_ laughable, Jerry
Goldsmith's music was good-to-excellent on both, and Sarabande released both.

[I have no association with Varese Sarabande except that I pay them a lot of
 my hard-earned sheckles...]

                               "If a man chooses to do evil... it becomes my
                                sacred duty to bash him to a pulp."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (03/06/86)

 >Unfortunately, no soundtrack was released for THE RIGHT
 >STUFF.  I copied bits and snatches off of my Beta Stereo
 >Hi-fi video player, but it is of course marred by voices and
 >sound effects.  I have heard a rumor, though, that part of
 >the score was from a 60's movie by Elmer Bernstein or Henry
 >Mancini, titled something like "White Dawn".

Following the release of the movie, one Evelyn Leeper started calling
Warner Brothers on a regular basis asking when the soundtrack would be
released.  At first they said it was delayed but was coming, then they
said that the lack of popularity of the film did not warrent a record
release.  I think she tried one last time after the score won an
oscar, but they still claimed that there were no plans to release a
soundtrack album.  I also had heard that there was indeed some legal
entanglement due to the music used for John Glenn's orbital flight
acutally being from WHITE DAWN, a 1974 film also directed by Philip
Kaufman.  WHITE DAWN was the true story of whalers whose boat was
swamped and who were rescued by eskimoes.

It may be just as well.  The film boasts two original pieces of music
but they are repeated quite a bit.  This makes the score memorable, but
a soundtrack album of such a score is usually pretty dull.  A prime
example is the score for THE VIKINGS.  When you see the film the score
sounds pretty good, when you hear the score on a record you realize you
are just hearing variation upon variation of the same simple theme.
The same goes for Goldsmith's score for PAPILLON, considered one of his
best.  He repeats the main theme an awful lot, usually in variation.
If, in fact, the score will be released on one side of a record, that
is probably the best way to release it.  That way you get the two main
themes (which I'd call "The Right Stuff March," and  "Yeager's Flight")
much of the rest is classical music -- Holst's THE PLANETS, Debussy's
(I think) "Afternoon of the Faun" (I think) -- that nice borrowed
piece from WHITE DAWN, pop music of the period, etc.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper