[comp.lang.lisp] Information Exchange

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (02/23/90)

I am using MACL exclusively and, like on any large Lisp
system, sometimes I have problems that are not mine.  When
I programmed on the Xerox 1100 series Lisp Machines, there
was a place where I could exchange information (and still
is), public domain hacks, complain about bugs in the system
etc.  Are there enough people using MACL to form such a group?
Since I bought Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp from a receptionist
at APDA, I have no way to ask her, for example, why the Lisp
crashes from time to time without any apparent reason and if
the developers are aware of that and are working on fixing it.
Are there other problems people have with MACL that users and
developers at Apple should know too?  What are the known problems
that will be fixed in the next release?  When will the next release
be released?  Who is using MACL anyway?

Arie Covrigaru                     |    Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

gz@cambridge.apple.com (Gail Zacharias) (02/24/90)

You can report bugs to bug-macl@cambridge.apple.com.

--
gz@cambridge.apple.com

arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (02/26/90)

In article <167@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> gz@cambridge.apple.com (Gail Zacharias) writes:
>In article <1532@zipeecs.umich.edu> arie@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) writes:
>>I am using MACL exclusively and, like on any large Lisp
>>system, sometimes I have problems that are not mine.
>
>You can report bugs to bug-macl@cambridge.apple.com.
>
>--
>gz@cambridge.apple.com

Actually, what I am interested in is S U P P O R T.  I would like to
know about bugs from Apple when they know about them.  I don't want to
wait a few months for a tech notes release to know that my code is crashes
because of a compiler problem that I wasn't aware of (just a hypothesis,
I do have such a problem but I don't know yet if Apple knows that it
exists, I haven't gotten the new tech note yet).  I want to have support
to this product the same way other developers have from the companies they buy
their programming languages.  I want to have a phone number to call,
I want a pool of tools that are in an accessible host and I also want
a newsletter.  If AI is an important field, Lisp an important AI tool
and Apple a company that wants to sell AI workstations, I should be getting
all those things by now.  Otherwise, why did Apple buy Allegro Common Lisp
from Coral in the first place?  I used to call Coral (I had a phone
number from the manual!) and get the answers much quicker back than.

So it is nice to have an address to report bugs to, but this should be an
overall decision to support this product in a serious manner. You have
serious competition here with other companies' AI workstations and you should
do something about it.