[net.movies] Buckaroo Banzai Soundtrack

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (04/13/85)

Is there such a thing as a Buckaroo Banzai soundtrack?  I really enjoyed
some of the music in that movie, especially the end title theme, and
I'd love to get a copy.

Please mail to me, don't post, if you have information.
Thanks!

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

ma3166ay@unmc.UUCP (L.A. Electronics) (03/08/86)

In article <> kucharsk@puff.UUCP (William Kucharski) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can get a copy of the soundtrack
>to Buckaroo Banzai (especially the end title theme) without renting the
>VHS HiFi version and attaching a cassette deck?  Thanks in advance...
>
>	William Kucharski

There is no such animal.  Plans to release a soundtrack album fell through when
Sherwood Productions asked too much for the rights.  Director W.D. Richter said
in the December 1984 STARLOG:

	It's a tragedy.  Several record labels wanted it, but the powers
	that be kept upping the ante.  We got a $150,000 advance on the
	table at one point.  That's a very, very, fair and generous advance
	for a film that has no rock groups to promote.  Then, it simply
	became too late . . . (p.21)

Is it any wonder that Sherwood (now called Gladden Entertainment) plans to
dump the entire concept of Buckaroo Banzai when rights revert to them later
this year?  *Sigh*.  Hanoi Xan is everywhere . . .

Now, it is possible that, with enough demand, such an album could be released
(maybe through a label such as Varese Sarabande, who specializes in soundtrack
albums).  Show your support by writing to the address at the end of this
article.

.rne.

-----
Ernie Longmire    {{ purdue cmcl2 ihnp4 } !lanl ucbvax } !unmvax!unmc!ma3166ay
-----
Save Buckaroo Banzai before it's too late!  Write to:
The Banzai Institute / c/o 20th Century Fox / Box 900 / Beverly Hills, CA 90213