[comp.lang.lisp] Eliza

gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Theodore Gregg) (03/25/90)

Eliza is a program that carries on a simplistic conversation in
English. It was originally developed by Joseph Weizenbaum and
was described in the Communications of ACM, January, 1966. I
was wondering if anyone had a copy of the source for this
classic program, written in Lisp. Please email responses to

     gregg@macc.wisc.edu

       Thank you,
     Theodore Gregg

c264-aq@mercury.Berkeley.EDU (Class Account) (03/26/90)

In article <3384@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> gregg@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Theodore Gregg) writes:

>Eliza is a program that carries on a simplistic conversation in
>English. It was originally developed by Joseph Weizenbaum and
>was described in the Communications of ACM, January, 1966. I
>was wondering if anyone had a copy of the source for this
>classic program, written in Lisp. Please email responses to

I would like to have a copy, too.  Would you (whoever has the copy) e-mail to
c264-aq@xcssun.berkeley.edu

Thanks.

-william

finin@prc.unisys.com (Tim Finin) (03/27/90)

In article <3384@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, gregg@vms (Theodore Gregg) writes:

>Eliza is a program that carries on a simplistic conversation in
>English. It was originally developed by Joseph Weizenbaum and
>was described in the Communications of ACM, January, 1966. I
>was wondering if anyone had a copy of the source for this
>classic program, written in Lisp. ...

The most accessible version of a Eliza-like program is distributed with Gnu
Emacs.  Just enter the command "doctor" to Gnu Emacs to invoke it.  The source
is provided, of course, and can be found wherever your system puts its Gnu Emacs
Lisp code.  Most implementations of an Eliza-like system that I have seen have
descended from a version of Doctor done for Maclisp around 1969.  I don't know
the history of that software, but I think Jon L. White may have been be
responsible.  The Gnu Emacs version does not look like a port of this, however.
--
 Tim Finin                                   finin@prc.unisys.com
 Center for Advanced Information Technology  215-648-2840, 215-648-2288 (fax)

ccsdgdc@bath.ac.uk (Douglas Clark) (03/28/90)

Peter Norvig of Berkeley sent me a copy last year when I made a similar
request. You can have it if you want.
--
Douglas Clark                                   Voice : +44 225 826039
User Services,                            JANET : ccsdgdc@uk.ac.bath.gdr

ccsdgdc@bath.ac.uk (Douglas Clark) (03/28/90)

Peter Norvig of Berkeley sent me a copy when I made a similar request
last year. You can have it if you want.