[comp.lang.lisp] REAL LISP applications, and telnet in lisp

gjc@paradigm.com (05/29/90)

Here is a combination of real lisp applications and
another message about "how do I get TELNET input from lisp"

The answer: Use TELNET on Multics. (I'm 98% sure this was written
in Lisp. Probably as emacs with a special startup file).

In article <808@paradigm.com> gjc@paradigm.com writes:
>Here is a combination of real lisp applications and
>another message about "how do I get TELNET input from lisp"
>
>The answer: Use TELNET on Multics. (I'm 98% sure this was written
>in Lisp. Probably as emacs with a special startup file).

Huh?  Where did you get that idea?  There's absolutely no relationship
between telnet and Lisp.  And Multics telnet is written in PL/I like most
Multics applications.  And telnet was around for years before Emacs.  In
fact, at the time Emacs was being implemented the only way to get
single-character input on Multics was if you were logged in via a telnet
connection.

You may be thinking of Multics supdup, which was originally implemented in
Lisp so it could use Emacs's terminal interface routines, which are written
in Lisp.  It was rewritten in PL/I when a general-purpose video terminal
interface library (the Multics Video System) was implemented.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar