[comp.lang.lisp] Inquiring mind with dumb question...

jay@wiley.UUCP (Jay Nelson) (05/30/90)

What is the _official_ pronunciation of CLOS?  I have heard the
following:

  1.)   C - L - O - S  (all spelled out)
  2.)   See Loss
  3.)   Closs

Is there a standard? :-)  Just curious...
--
Jay Nelson  (TRW)  jay@wilbur.coyote.trw.com

jwz@teak.berkeley.edu (Jamie Zawinski) (05/31/90)

In article <9977@wiley.UUCP> jay@wiley.UUCP (Jay Nelson) writes:
> What is the _official_ pronunciation of CLOS?  I have heard the
> following:

It's pronounced "TROUT."

schwamb@ics.uci.edu (Karl Schwamb) (05/31/90)

In <9977@wiley.UUCP> jay@wiley.UUCP (Jay Nelson) writes:

>What is the _official_ pronunciation of CLOS?  I have heard the
>following:

>  1.)   C - L - O - S  (all spelled out)
>  2.)   See Loss
>  3.)   Closs

What are some good motivations for these pronunciations?

1.  We don't want the kiddies to know what we're talking about.
    As in "Dear, you didn't use any C-L-O-S today, did you?"
2.  Language imperialism.  As in "C Lost, Lisp Won!"
3.  Good for the mind.  Closs cleans up that grunge that hackers
    put out before there was a better approach to abstraction.
    As in "I recoded it in CLOS and I've got that clean fresh
    feeling again."  See Floss, dental.

-Karl