[comp.lang.lisp] minimal LISP primitives?

roger@kymijoki.wrs.com (Roger Rohrbach) (06/30/90)

reynolds@fsg.UUCP (Brian Reynolds) writes:
> I would like to know what is the minimal set of LISP primitives
> needed to boot-strap LISP.

    The five elementary functions on s-expressions defined by McCarthy are
cons, car, cdr, atom, and eq.

    I wrote a small (but quite useable) LISP interpreter in Awk.  I needed
to implement cond, and, or, set, and quote as intrinsic functions.  McCarthy
mentions all of these as well.  With the constants t, nil and lambda, this
is enough to allow the interpreter to be extended in LISP.  I also added
eval (you need it for apply and mapcar).
Roger Rohrbach                                  sun!wrs!roger    roger@wrs.com
|    \<>) "I'm lurching between the aesthetic sublime & the quotidian grime." |