[net.movies] BRAZIL and the L.A. Critics Award

jon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Gingerich) (03/10/86)

Just a short note.  Several people have mentioned the L.A. Critics Award
received by BRAZIL.  I know very little about it, but I believe that it was
an ad hoc group put together as part of the politics of getting the film
released.
Jon. Gingerich

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/12/86)

In article <2670@sdcrdcf.UUCP> jon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Gingerich) writes:
>Just a short note.  Several people have mentioned the L.A. Critics Award
>received by BRAZIL.  I know very little about it, but I believe that it was
>an ad hoc group put together as part of the politics of getting the film
>released.

No, the LA Critics Awards (plural, they give out a whole slew, an award for
best picture being but one of them) has been around lo these many years.
I believe that they were originally gotten together more or less as a
response to the New York Critics Awards, the feeling being, I suppose, that
New York critics have a nerve to butt into LA's artform, and they should
stick to theater.  The LA critics association and the New York critics
association have a long history of disagreement, and can almost always be
counted on to give their awards to different films and people.  The New
York critics have a particularly strong bias in favor of foreign films.
The LA critics have a fondness for American independent films and the
less popular (in terms of money) American directors.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU