[comp.lang.lisp] PD CL Frame Rep Languages Wanted

rjb1@GTE.COM (Richard J. Brandau) (07/11/90)

I'm in search of good public domain, Common Lisp implementations of
frame languages.  Where might I look?

-- Rich Brandau, rjb1@gte.com, GTE Labs, Waltham MA

MELTSNE@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (07/11/90)

For a number of reasons, I'm fond of the frame language KR from Carnegie Mellon
University.  It's available as part of the Garnet distribution, but does run
without the rest of the system.

Contact Brad.Myers@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu for more information.

It includes nested schemas, a simple constraint system, multiple inheritance,
fairly efficient slot access, etc.  The documentation is okay, but not
extensive.

CMU also has Frulekit/Parmenides, which has an integrated rule system, cached
values, very efficient frame creation, and efficient slot access.  Contact
Peter Shell (Peter.Shell@ml.ri.cmu.edu) for more information.

Both are available free for non-commercial use after a software license is
signed by your company or institution.  It's probably a good idea to find a way
to give them some money if you're at a real company to support future work.

The packages aren't perfect, but are pretty good and the availability of
source code is a major plus.

                           Ken

finin@hamlet (Tim Finin) (07/11/90)

I developed a simple system called PFC for educational use.  It was
described by a pair of articles which appeared in AI Expert in 1986:

   Finin, Tim, ``Understanding Frame Languages'', AI Expert, November, 1986.
   Finin, Tim, ``Implementing PFL'', AI Expert, December, 1986.

The source can be FTP'ed from linc.cis.upenn.edu.

Tim
  | Tim Finin                                   finin@prc.unisys.com     |
  | Center for Advanced Information Technology  215-648-2840, -2288(fax) |
  | Unisys, PO Box 517, Paoli, PA 19301 USA     215-386-1749 (home)      |

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) (07/11/90)

In article <9438@bunny.GTE.COM> rjb1@GTE.COM (Richard J. Brandau) writes:
>I'm in search of good public domain, Common Lisp implementations of
>frame languages.  Where might I look?

Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, why not use CLOS (Common Lisp
Object System)? It is in the new CL standard, after all. A good CLOS
implementation that runs on most CL platforms can be obtained via anonymous
FTP from arisia.xerox.com, in subdirectory pcl. PCL is a relatively
large and robust subset of CLOS, from my understanding.

Or did you mean something else by "frame language"?

					- Marty Hall
hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, hall%aplcen@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

ora@hutcs.hut.fi (Ora Lassila) (07/20/90)

In article <9438@bunny.GTE.COM> rjb1@GTE.COM (Richard J. Brandau) writes:
> I'm in search of good public domain, Common Lisp implementations of
> frame languages.  Where might I look?
>
> -- Rich Brandau, rjb1@gte.com, GTE Labs, Waltham MA

We are currently developing a compact, fully portable, Common Lisp -based
frame system called BEEF. In addition to being a conventional frame
system, it can also be used for object-oriented programming. BEEF is
currently being used to implement a distributed knowledge-based production
scheduler.

BEEF has, in addition to frames, slots and values, several advanced
features: user-defined relations enable (dynamic) inheritance to be
customized on a slot-to-slot basis. Parallel and nested versions of the
frame universe can be maintained using a context mechanism called
"worlds". Worlds can be used, for example, to implement backtracking
search algorithms. BEEF also features demons and easy method definition
facilities.

So far, BEEF has been tested with Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, KCL,
Symbolics Common Lisp, Sun Common Lisp and Franz Allegro Common Lisp.

BEEF will be made available through anonymous FTP. This will happen
during fall 1990.

  Ora Lassila
  Laboratory of Information Processing Science
  Helsinki University of Technology
  Otakaari 1
  02150 ESPOO, FINLAND

  Internet: ora@hutcs.hut.fi