[comp.lang.lisp] SCHEME

guest@wang7.UUCP (guest account) (01/13/87)

Does anyone out there know anything about the language SCHEME? I am told that
it is "like LISP". Also, where does one get a SCHEME interpreter/compiler?
Is there anyone interested in starting a USENET format on SCHEME if one does
not already exist?

kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (01/14/87)

In article <1005@wang7.UUCP> guest@wang7.UUCP (guest account) writes:
>Does anyone out there know anything about the language SCHEME?

Scheme is Lisp done right.
The December 1986 issue of SigPlan Notices contains the Revised^3 Report
on the Algorithmic Language Scheme.  A somewhat older dialect of Scheme
is described in the excellent book "Structure and Interpretation
of Computer Programs" by Abelson and Sussman (MIT, 1985).
--
Doug Moen (watmath!watcgl!kdmoen)
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

yerazuws@csv.RPI.EDU (Crah) (01/15/87)

In article <1005@wang7.UUCP>, guest@wang7.UUCP (guest account) writes:
> Does anyone out there know anything about the language SCHEME? I am told that
> it is "like LISP". Also, where does one get a SCHEME interpreter/compiler?
> Is there anyone interested in starting a USENET format on SCHEME if one does
> not already exist?

	You can get the whole "Revised**3 report on the Algorithmic
Language Scheme" by sending a check for US$6.00 to

	Byron E. Robyn
	Publications - NE43-818
	MIT Artificial Intellegence Laboratory
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge, Mass. 02139

	Ask for AI Memo 848a

I have it.  It's about 1/4 inch thick.  The Scheme definition is 43 pages
long, with lots of examples.  They also throw in a Sussman article concerning
using Scheme for teaching.

	-Enjoy,
	Bill Yerazunis

	"You can get a lot further with a kind word and a gun than
	 with a kind word alone"    -Al Capone

dmb@morgoth.UUCP (01/16/87)

[ The original poster asked what scheme was and how to get it. ]

You can get Scheme from the Free Software Foundation.  The address is:

	Free Software Foundation
	1000 Mass. Ave.
	Cambridge, MA  02138

David Brown
{harvard | ll-xn | mirror}!adelie!morgoth!dmb
GZA, 320 Needham St., Newton Upper Falls, MA  02164
(617) 969-0050

 we challenge OUR TRADITIONS
      because WE BELIEVE
        truth WITHOUT QUESTIONING
     is false

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (01/16/87)

Chez Scheme is used here at I.U. on VAXes -- you could contact Kent Dybvig,
dyb@iuvax (or something like that).  I don't use it, so I don't know much
about its or others' availability.

Texas Instruments has TI Scheme for MS-DOS machines.  I do use that, and I like
it.  I don't think it's 100% R^3 compatible, but it's close.

schutten@prls.UUCP (Rindert Schutten) (05/05/88)

Hi,

is there anybody who can tell me where I can get a copy of the SCHEME
language?

Rindert W. Schutten
Philips Research Laboratories Sunnyvale
811 E. Arques Avenue
P.O. Box 3409 MS 02
Sunnyvale, California 94088-3409
Telephone: 408-991-5105
e-mail: {pyramid, philabs}!prls!schutten

stevec@fornax.UUCP (Steve Cumming) (01/12/89)

One of our graduate students wants to get
his hands on a langauge called scheme.

Can anyone tell me where it is available?
Are there free versions about, he asks,
without much hope....

Regards,
Steve

--
Steve Cumming	stevec@lccr.cs.sfu.ca	{uunet|...}!ubc-cs!fornax!stevec
School of CS

brians@hpcljms.HP.COM (Brian Sullivan) (01/19/89)

   I believe that there is a version of scheme available from MIT.  I don't
have the specific file names, but I do have a email address for information.
Here is the information that I have:

Scheme Team
c/o Prof. Hal Abelson
545 Technology Sq. rm 410
Cambridge MA 02139

Other relevant mailing lists:

INFO-CSCHEME%OZ@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU
	Questions, notices of bug fixes, etc.
	Send mail to INFO-CSCHEME-REQUEST to be added.

SCHEME@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU
	Applications, mostly for educational uses.
	Note that this mailing list is NOT MIT C Scheme specific.  It
	covers general language issues, relevant to all the
	implementations of the scheme language (MIT's C Scheme, Yale
	University's T, Indiana University's Scheme84, Semantic
	Microsystems' MacScheme, and Texas Instruments' PC Scheme
	among others).
	Send mail to SCHEME-REQUEST to be added.

bruiser@wybbs.mi.org (Kevin Williams) (07/27/90)

Does anybody know if there is an implementation
of SCHEME for IBM mainframes (MVS)?  I've been
playing with a PC implementation called XSCHEME,
but I find that most of my time available for
playing around with it is at work, where I don't
have quite so ready access to a PC.

Thanks.

-- Kevin