[comp.lang.lisp] Logical pathnames in CommonLisp?

jscott@june.cs.washington.edu (J Scott Penberthy) (08/24/90)

Does anyone know where I might find CommonLisp code that implements logical
pathnames, ala TI, Symbolics, CADR, etc?  How about DEFSYSTEM ?

Thanks
Scott

(This group is definitely a candy store for Lisp Hackers)

pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) (08/24/90)

I'm looking for some pointers on how to customize a Symbolics 8.0
environment for logical pathnames.  I use my Symbolics as an entry
point to a large network with many hosts, each of which has my files
far sown on the directory chain.  I'm tired of typing

   frodo:/usr/home/project/myname/division/fname.type

or some such for each file I access on each host on which I have an
account. I know that there must be a way to define an abbreviation so
that I can get right to

  symbolic_directory_name>fname.type

on the hosts of my choice, but I have't yet found the pointer to it.

Chewy@cup.portal.com (Paul Frederick Snively) (08/24/90)

jscott@june.cs.washington.edu (J Scott Penberthy) writes:

>Does anyone know where I might find CommonLisp code that implements logical
>pathnames, ala TI, Symbolics, CADR, etc?  How about DEFSYSTEM ?

If memory serves me correctly, anonymous FTP to:

a.gp.cs.cmu.edu

and a cd to:

/usr/mkant/public

should get you to a number of Common Lisp utilities, including a portable
CLtL2 logical pathname implementation and a DEFSYSTEM.

Paul Snively
Macintosh Developer Technical Support
Apple Computer, Inc.
Hanging out at Chewy@cup.portal.com