[comp.lang.lisp] CLOS--How to pronounce it

edelson@ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) (08/23/90)

Now that CLOS is an accepted part of the CL standard, I am interested
in adopting the standard pronunciation.  However, I have heard "CLOS"
pronounced several different ways.

Is it:
"closs" rhymes with "floss"
"close" rhymes with "dose"
or
"see-loss"

I will accept as the standard whatever pronunciation the X3J13
committee used.  Would someone who was part of that process please
enlighten me.

Only half joking,
Danny

---------
Danny Edelson   	Institute for the Learning Sciences
edelson@ils.nwu.edu 	     Northwestern University

sam@esl.ESL.COM (Sam Hahn) (08/24/90)

In article <1459@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> you write:
>Now that CLOS is an accepted part of the CL standard, I am interested
>in adopting the standard pronunciation.  However, I have heard "CLOS"
>pronounced several different ways.
>
>Is it:
>"closs" rhymes with "floss"
>---------
>Danny Edelson   	Institute for the Learning Sciences
>edelson@ils.nwu.edu 	     Northwestern University

CLOSS (floss).  That's how we do it.  We've never thought of it
pronounced any other way.  Nor is there a need.  (B^:) -- Sam

epeterso@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (Eric Peterson) (08/25/90)

Kent Pitman of the X3J13 committee pronounces it "see-loss" and claims that it
is the East coast way to say it.  He says that Guy L. says it the same way.

-Eric Peterson

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (08/29/90)

it's    "see-loss"!
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

art@bu-conx.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) (08/30/90)

In article <RALPH.90Aug29172109@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
|it's    "see-loss"!

CLOS, but no cigar.

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (08/30/90)

epeterso@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (Eric Peterson) writes:

>Kent Pitman of the X3J13 committee pronounces it "see-loss" and claims that it
>is the East coast way to say it.  He says that Guy L. says it the same way.

At the recent AAAI-90 conference I attended a workshop on CLOS headed by
Richard Gabriel and John L. White.  They said that they pronounce it
"see-loss".  Seeing that they are a part of the CL community (in a big way)
and that they also have had a big impact on the X3J13 committee, I tend
to believe them.
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (09/05/90)

In article <4522@turquoise.UUCP> ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) writes:

>>Kent Pitman of the X3J13 committee pronounces it "see-loss" and claims
>>that it is the East coast way to say it.  He says that Guy L. says it
>>the same way.
>
>At the recent AAAI-90 conference I attended a workshop on CLOS headed by
>Richard Gabriel and John L. White.  They said that they pronounce it
>"see-loss".  Seeing that they are a part of the CL community (in a big way)
>and that they also have had a big impact on the X3J13 committee, I tend
>to believe them.

Sigh.  There is no correct way to pronounce "CLOS".  You should, of
course, believe RPG and JonL when they tell you how *they* pronounce it.
No doubt they do pronounce it that way.  Whether the other pronunciation
is in some sense wrong is another matter.

If you want to think of X3J13 as an authority, I can tell you that
when I was a member both the "see loss" and the "rhymes with floss"
versions were used.  Both "east coast" and "think `C loss'" are
semi-serious, semi-humourous justifications for "see loss".

For what it's worth, "see loss" seemed to be more popular.
It's also what I (usually) say.

-- Jeff

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: J.Dalton@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  J.Dalton%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton