[net.movies] Japanese movies

doctor@fluke.UUCP (Doug Klopfenstein) (03/29/86)

Does anyone know of a place (anywhere in the world) that sells video tapes
of Akira Kurasawa movies? The Neptune theater here in Seattle has been
showing old Kurasawa films every Wednesday for the last two months. I
haven't missed one (I even spent the money to go see "RAN" at full price!).
The only tape I have seen in the local video stores is "THE SEVEN SAMURI".
Some of the ones I would like to obtain are:  YOJIMBO, KAGAMUSHA,
TODESKADEN, THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, I LIVE IN FEAR, THE BAD SLEEP WELL,
SCANDAL, THE THRONE OF BLOOD, THE TAIL OF THE TIGER, RED BEARD, STRAY DOG,
and many more too numerous to mention.

The last time I saw any of these films on the television was about nine
years ago in Denver. (This is for those people who suggest I tape it off the
TV.)

The "Americanized' titles at the beginning of most of his movies shows
a "Film International" title. Does anyone know of this company, or what
their address might be?

BTW, if you want to rate Japanese movies on a scale of -4 to +4, (with the
Godzilla movies at the bottom end), the films of Akira Kurasawa would be at
the top end (in my opinion).

Thanks in advance,
Doug Klopfenstein
(John Fluke Mfg. Co.)

lee@butler.UUCP (03/30/86)

In article <772@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> doctor@fluke.UUCP (Doug Klopfenstein) writes:
>Does anyone know of a place (anywhere in the world) that sells video tapes
>of Akira Kurasawa movies? The Neptune theater here in Seattle has been
>showing old Kurasawa films every Wednesday for the last two months. I
>haven't missed one (I even spent the money to go see "RAN" at full price!).
>The only tape I have seen in the local video stores is "THE SEVEN SAMURI".
>Some of the ones I would like to obtain are:  YOJIMBO, KAGAMUSHA,
>TODESKADEN, THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, I LIVE IN FEAR, THE BAD SLEEP WELL,
>SCANDAL, THE THRONE OF BLOOD, THE TAIL OF THE TIGER, RED BEARD, STRAY DOG,
>and many more too numerous to mention.

Add "Dersu Usala" to the list.  It is one of the most beautiful films I
have seen.  It is about a Goldie (Siberian) trapper around the turn of
the century.  Great directing (Kurosawa), great acting (all Russians, no
Japanese spoken in the movie), and great photography. I would definitely
like to know whether a tape exists.

>BTW, if you want to rate Japanese movies on a scale of -4 to +4, (with the
>Godzilla movies at the bottom end), the films of Akira Kurasawa would be at
>the top end (in my opinion).
DERSU USALA would be 4.5.  It is that good.