[comp.lang.lisp] Lucid Lisp

eilerts@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts) (10/31/90)

   I just got CLX up and working on a Sun Sparc (after much hard work).  Now,
I'm getting ready to port some code from an Explorer to the Sun.  Unfortunately,
I just noticed that the lisp I'm using, Lucid 3.0, doesn't support flavors
or methods.  Since my code relies on flavors pretty heavily, this is a
problem.  I recently heard that Sun's new version of Lucid lisp now supports
flavors, but I cannot verify this because I don't have a manual.  Also, I
heard that Lucid Lisp doesn't work on SunOs 4.0.3.  If anyone could tell me
if these last two statements are true or not, I would appreciate it.
      Thanks,

         Erik Eilerts         (eilerts@cs.utexas.edu)

In article <993@ai.cs.utexas.edu> eilerts@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts) writes:
>   I just got CLX up and working on a Sun Sparc (after much hard work).  Now,
>I'm getting ready to port some code from an Explorer to the Sun.  Unfortunately,
>I just noticed that the lisp I'm using, Lucid 3.0, doesn't support flavors
>or methods.  Since my code relies on flavors pretty heavily, this is a
>problem.  I recently heard that Sun's new version of Lucid lisp now supports
>flavors, but I cannot verify this because I don't have a manual.  Also, I
>heard that Lucid Lisp doesn't work on SunOs 4.0.3.  If anyone could tell me
>if these last two statements are true or not, I would appreciate it.

Lucid CL 3.0, which is the latest release, includes Flavors, but it's not
in the default image.  You can load flavors.sbin, or run the lisp-3-0-full
image that Sun supplies (which also includes the production compiler, the
Lucid editor, and the Window Toolkit (a Lisp interface to SunView)).

Note, however, that if you rely heavily on any of the built-in flavors on
the Explorer (such as all the flavors in the TV package) you'll have to do
quite a bit of porting, as none of those flavors exist in Lucid.

Lucid 4.0 (which I believe is still in beta test) will include CLOS, the
Common Lisp Object System, in addition to Flavors.

We've been using Lucid 3.0 in SunOS 4.0.3 with no problems.  It also
seems to run OK in 4.1.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

halvers@betelgeuse.crd.ge.com (Pete Halverson) (10/31/90)

In article <993@ai.cs.utexas.edu> eilerts@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts) writes:
>I'm getting ready to port some code from an Explorer to the Sun.
>Unfortunately, I just noticed that the lisp I'm using, Lucid 3.0, doesn't
>support flavors or methods.  Since my code relies on flavors pretty
>heavily, this is a problem.

Since (at least) v2.0, Lucid has provided an object-oriented programming
system based on so-called "Old" Flavors (as distinguished from Symbolics
New Flavors).  Since I'm pretty sure this is also what the Exploder flavors
are based on, porting should be pretty straightforward.

Note that while Flavors support is provided in the standard Lucid
distribution, it's supplied as an optional package to be loaded into
a pre-built lisp image.  Its quite likely that the image you're running
didn't have Flavors included when it was built.  Go bug your system
administrator.

>I recently heard that Sun's new version of Lucid lisp now supports
>flavors, but I cannot verify this because I don't have a manual.

Sun (Lucid) Common Lisp 4.0 provides an initial implementation of the
Common Lisp Object System (CLOS), which is a part of the proposed
ANSI-standard Common Lisp.  It's not Flavors, but most of the concepts from
Flavors have showed up in CLOS (occasionally in a somewhat different syntax
or form), and you probably wouldn't find it too difficult to port an Old
Flavors application to CLOS.  Since CLOS looks to be The Approved Way to do
OOP in Lisp, and various CL vendors are starting to provide pretty good
implementations, it would probably be worth the effort to port now.

>Also, I heard that Lucid Lisp doesn't work on SunOs 4.0.3.

I've been working with Sun (aka Lucid) Common Lisp versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
under release 4.0.3c without problems for some time now.

Pete Halverson                        		    INET: halverson@crd.ge.com
GE Corporate R&D Center	                      UUCP: uunet!crd.ge.com!halverson
Schenectady, NY                     "Money for nuthin' and your MIPS for free"

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (11/01/90)

In article <993@ai.cs.utexas.edu> eilerts@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts) writes:

> I just got CLX up and working on a Sun Sparc (after much hard work).
> Now, I'm getting ready to port some code from an Explorer to the Sun.
> Unfortunately, I just noticed that the lisp I'm using, Lucid 3.0,
> doesn't support flavors or methods.  Since my code relies on flavors
> pretty heavily, this is a problem.  I recently heard that Sun's new
> version of Lucid lisp now supports flavors, but I cannot verify this
> because I don't have a manual.

As far as I can tell from looking at the sysyems here, Lucid 3.0
comes with Flavors and CLX (and PCL).  Depending on how you have
set things up, you may have to load Flavors and do a USE-PACKAGE
before you can use them (or CLX or PCL).

I don't know how close this Flavors system is to the one on the
Explorer, though.

> Also, I heard that Lucid Lisp doesn't work on SunOs 4.0.3.  If
> anyone could tell me if these last two statements are true or not,
> I would appreciate it.

I just checked by running Lucid version 3.0.0 on a SPARCstation that
is running SunOS Release 4.0.3c and on a Sun 3/260 running SunOS
Release 4.0.3_EXPORT.  Both worked.  Both had Flavors and CLX.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: J.Dalton@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  J.Dalton%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton

eilerts@cs.utexas.edu (Erik Eilerts) (11/01/90)

      Thanks to everyone who sent me mail about Lucid Lisp.  I checked the
source directories and found a file:  flavors.sbin  Now, all I need to do is
to find some documentation that explains how these flavors work.  Unfortunately,
we are in a software consortium that gives us whatever software we want, but
no manuals.
      For the other problem, about Lisp not working, I checked some more and
found out that our people were having some problems installing Lisp into the
new operating system.  But once installed, I think it works fine.
      Now, for my next request.  I was wondering if there is somewhere from
where I can ftp documentation about CLOS and possible some CLOS source code.
If I'm going to have to port Explorer flavors to Lucid flavors, I would rather
avoid this and port everything directly to CLOS.  I would also like to
interface this with Lucid CLOS, but it looks like it's going to be a long time
before we get version 4.0 of Lucid Lisp.  (As an aside, does anyone know how
we could become a test site for Lucid?)