[comp.lang.lisp] portable DEFSYSTEM and logical pathnames...

mdb@zero.arc.ab.ca (Mark Brinsmead) (11/27/90)

I know its been asked before, but...

   Are there any portable (CLtL) implementations of
DEFSYSTEM and logical pathnames available for anonymous
ftp?  I'm running a couple versions of LUCID on sun-4's,
but nothing more recent than 3.0. (There may be
something for me in 4.0, but I won't be able to use that
for quite some time)

   Any or all pointers are appreciated!

-- Mark Brinsmead,  (mdb@zero.arc.ab.ca  -- or -- mdb@[128.144.1.34])
   Alberta Research Council,
   Calgary, Alberta,
   CANADA.

Chewy@cup.portal.com (Paul Frederick Snively) (11/27/90)

Yes, it's been covered before, but the flood-waters of the Internet keep
flowing by whether you're thirsty at the time or not. ;-)

You should anonymously FTP to a.gp.cs.cmu.edu
and cd to /usr/mkant/Public

Not ethat the "cd" must be a one-step operation due to the security features
of the Andrew file system.

You'll fine the DEFSYSTEM facility, a portable CLtL2 logical pathname
implementation, performance monitoring tools, a cross-referencer, and some
other neat things.

By the way, please padron the typos--for some reason my terminal isn't
letting me use backspace as opposed to delete!

af@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Alessandro Forin) (11/29/90)

In article <36271@cup.portal.com>, Chewy@cup.portal.com (Paul Frederick Snively) writes:

> Note that the "cd" must be a one-step operation due to the security features
> of the Andrew file system.

Just for the record, this has nothing to do with Andrew/AFS.  The Unix FTP
daemons we run in the School of CS are the ones that provide the extra
security features mentioned.  I do not know if all the rest of the campus
uses them or not. I'd think not all of it, whereas all of the campus uses
AFS.

sandro-