[comp.lang.lisp] LISP for a Mac

dennis@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Dennis Miyoshi) (12/27/90)

Hello,

I have noticed several messages floating around regarding KCL.
After many attempts at obtaining this system for a MacIntosh,
I have given up and decided that it is primarily a UNIX based
Common Lisp Package.  However, as many have mentioned, this package
will not currently run or for that matter compile on the system
we are using (AT&T System V 386 UNIX).  Therefore, most of my
work will be done on a MacIntosh if I can find a good source
for a Common Lisp Compiler.  I have been informed that Allegro
Common Lisp by Coral is a good system.  My question is:  Does
anyone know of a good software shop that will sell this product
at a educational discount or simply at any discount???????

Any answer is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Dennis Miyoshi, PE
Systems Engineer

ARPA Internet:  dennis@longs.lance.colostate.edu
UUCP         :  ...ncar!boulder!ccncsu!longs.lance.colostate.edu!dennis

us269574@mmm.serc.3m.com (Darryn J. Kozak) (12/27/90)

From article <11862@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, by dennis@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Dennis Miyoshi):
> Hello,
>
> I have been informed that Allegro
> Common Lisp by Coral is a good system.  My question is:  Does
> anyone know of a good software shop that will sell this product
> at a educational discount or simply at any discount???????

Allegro from Coral is now MACL (I think that's the name) from Apple.
I like it. Find an APDA catalog to order it.

	Good Luck,

        Darryn Kozak

        3M Center
        260-4A-08
        St. Paul, MN 55144

        phone:          612-733-3271
        email:          us269574@mmm.3m.com or kozak@umn-cs.edu
        FAX:            612-737-3213

odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (12/28/90)

In article <11862@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> dennis@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Dennis Miyoshi) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have noticed several messages floating around regarding KCL.
>After many attempts at obtaining this system for a MacIntosh,
>I have given up and decided that it is primarily a UNIX based
>Common Lisp Package.  However, as many have mentioned, this package
>will not currently run or for that matter compile on the system
>we are using (AT&T System V 386 UNIX).  Therefore, most of my
>work will be done on a MacIntosh if I can find a good source
>for a Common Lisp Compiler.  I have been informed that Allegro
>Common Lisp by Coral is a good system.  My question is:  Does
>anyone know of a good software shop that will sell this product
>at a educational discount or simply at any discount???????
>
>Any answer is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
===========
I have a version of Franz Lisp that runs quite nicely
on the Mac. It runs DOE Macsyma on the Macinatosh. With a
little care (aside from code that depends on lexical scoping)
most code can run in either Franz Lisp or Common
Lisp.

The Franz is available with complete source code, including
the compiler, interpreter and libraries. The kernel is in
THINK C 4.0, the libraries and compiler are in lisp. It is unique
in that it can coexist with C code and can be linked
into existing C applications.

For more information mail to
Jim O'Dell
Fort Pond Research
jim@fpr.com

weyer@apple.com (Steve Weyer) (01/05/91)

Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL) is available through APDA (Apple)
phone: (800) 282-2732
internet: APDA@applelink.apple.com

Procyon Common Lisp is available thru Expertelligence.  some phone numbers
to try:
(800) 828-0113
(805) 967-1797

I think educational discounts may be available for each -- ask.

Steve Weyer
Mgr, Intelligent Applications (IA)
Advanced Technology Group (ATG)
Apple Computer Inc.