[comp.lang.lisp] Lisp vs Functional programming

jsp@glia.biostr.washington.edu. (Jeff Prothero) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.141651.12321@arris.com> rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>[Lisp is] the best general purpose programming language for symbolic
>computing, and symbolic computing has turned out to be very useful in
>AI applications. There are special purpose languages that are better
>at symbol manipulation, but of the widely available general languages,
>no other one really comes close.

Speaking as one of those brain-dead C hackers who's beginning to take
an interest in Lisp (and a little discouraged to hear it's dead :-),
I'd be curious to hear what you hardcore Lisp types think about the
latest wave of functional languages generally, and Haskell in
particular.

* Bad idea?

* Potential replacement for lisp?

* Interesting idea, but completely different ecological niche?

(My apologies if this issue has been beaten to death already!)

--
Jeff Prothero (jsp@u.washington.edu)  <std disclaimer>
Biological Structure Graphics Lab, University of Washington