[comp.lang.lisp] Beginner ? - What is 'uses'

griffin@prism.gatech.EDU (GRIFFIN,JEFFREY A) (02/07/91)

From: griffin@prism.gatech.EDU (GRIFFIN,JEFFREY A)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Beginner ? - What is 'uses'

I am reading a book which has some sample LISP code in it.  I am also learning
LISP.  It has the following line of code in many of the sections:

      (uses 'prog-name)

Is this a standard LISP function?  I am using VAX LISP.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the help.

In article <21436@hydra.gatech.EDU> griffin@prism.gatech.EDU (GRIFFIN,JEFFREY A) writes:
>I am reading a book which has some sample LISP code in it.  I am also learning
>LISP.  It has the following line of code in many of the sections:
>
>      (uses 'prog-name)
>
>Is this a standard LISP function?  I am using VAX LISP.  Any help would be
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the help.

It's not a standard Common Lisp function.  Does your book say what dialect
of Lisp it uses?

My guess is that USES is similar to Common Lisp's REQUIRE (which the ANSI
committee is not currently planning on including in the standard).
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

hmueller@orca.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) (02/08/91)

>My guess is that USES is similar to Common Lisp's REQUIRE (which the ANSI
>committee is not currently planning on including in the standard).

What is the politically correct replacement?  We're using REQUIRE
routinely; is there a better way?

--
Hal Mueller               Remember that the only thing the USAF and USN have
hmueller@orca.tamu.edu    ever agreed on is that the Army shouldn't have

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (02/12/91)

>I am reading a book which has some sample LISP code in it.  I am also learning
>LISP.  It has the following line of code in many of the sections:
>
>      (uses 'prog-name)
>
>Is this a standard LISP function?  I am using VAX LISP.  Any help would be
>appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the help.

It's not standard Lisp.  I think I've seen this book, though I can't
remember for sure which one it is.  (Maybe Gadzer and Mellish's book
on Natural Language?).  The idea is to say that inorder to run the
things in this file (where the uses appears), you also need the things
in that other file.

-- Jeff