[comp.lang.lisp] CL has something for everyone to knock

adams@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Drew Adams) (02/18/91)

In article <4010@skye.ed.ac.uk> jeff@aiai.UUCP (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>On the other hand, I have heard a number of claims about why CL
>has strayed from the One True Path of Lisp.  Some people think
>that it was a big mistake to have both dynamic and lexical scoping
>(forgetting, perhaps, that many Lisps have had both, although
>the lexical scoping took a more limited form).  One person said
>that CL was far from the center of Lisp because it had taken on
>too much from procedural languages.
>
>So there's quite a range of things someone making such a claim
>might have in mind.

Agreed.    One  person  objects to  iterative, procedural constructs,
prefering  stream  processing  and  functional  mappings;  another is
oppositely inclined.

"Les gouts et  les couleurs,  ca ne  se discute  pas!"
(One person's meat is another's poison.)

Perhaps  partly  because  CL  has  something  for  everyone,  it  has
something for everyone to knock.

Is  such  all-inclusiveness  itself  something  negative?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a reasonable subject for debate in  general, and  also in the
narrower context of CL and its design goals.

In the latter case, I don't think CL's designers did so badly, *given
their goals*.  Among  others, a  principal goal  was to  come up with
something `largely  compatible' with  the major  existing dialects of
the time.  This, in itself, would tend to lead more to a  stew than a
clear broth.
--
Drew ADAMS:     adams@aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr       Tel. +33 (1) 64.49.11.54
            ALCATEL ALSTHOM Recherche, Route de Nozay, 91460 MARCOUSSIS, FRANCE