[comp.lang.lisp] Lisp on Mac

siegeert@kim.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Geert Adriaens) (03/25/91)

Hello,

Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??

Thanks.
--
Geert Adriaens (SIEMENS-METAL Project & University of Leuven)
Maria Theresiastraat 21              siegeert@kulcs.uucp or

rda@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Robert Dale) (03/27/91)

siegeert@kim.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Geert Adriaens) writes:

>Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
>to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
>about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??

There are two Common Lisps around:  Procyon Common Lisp from Procyon
of Cambridge UK, and Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp via APDA.  I don't
have contact information to hand but if no-one else posts it I guess
I'll have to ..

Robert Dale        Phone: +44 31 650 4416       | University of Edinburgh
		   Fax:   +44 31 662 4912	| Centre for Cognitive Science
ARPA:   rda%cogsci.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
JANET:  rda@uk.ac.ed.cogsci or R.Dale@uk.ac.ed  | Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland

mark@cambridge.apple.com (Mark Preece) (03/28/91)

In article <2555@n-kulcs.cs.kuleuven.ac.be> siegeert@kim.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Geert Adriaens) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know what Lisps exist for the Macintosh NOW? There used
>to be Allegro, but it is no longer offered on the Mac platform. I heard
>about Coral, but I don't know where they are. Any other suppliers??
>
>Thanks.
>--
>Geert Adriaens (SIEMENS-METAL Project & University of Leuven)
>Maria Theresiastraat 21              siegeert@kulcs.uucp or
>B-3000 Leuven                        siegeert@blekul60.bitnet or
>tel: ..32 16 285091  285098(fax)     siegeert@cs.kuleuven.ac.be

Actually, the products you named all refer to different versions of the same
Lisp.

To make a long story short:

1. A company called Coral produced Lisps variously called
   "Pearl Lisp", "Coral Common Lisp", and "Allegro Common Lisp for the Mac".

2. Apple bought Coral and the product became "Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp".
   The current version of this product (MACL 1.3.2) is still available
   from APDA.

3. To avoid confusion (believe it or not), the new version of MACL has been
   renamed "Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0" (MCL 2.0). This product has just been
   released in a Beta version, also available from APDA.

Here's APDA's address:

	APDA
	Apple Computer
	20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 33G
	Cupertino, CA 95014-6299
	USA.

gilette@trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette) (03/29/91)

  You can also find Lelisp which is develloped by the Inria in France
and is a dynamic lisp (not free), and Pearl Lisp wich is a static common
Lisp, with nice help menus.