[net.music] Laurie Anderson

bob (05/11/82)

Laurie Anderson will be at the Palladium in NYC on May 27.  Her latest
release (and first solo album) is called "Big Science", a super record.
It includes the single "O Superman", which was released about 2 months
ago, and "Let X=X", which was released as an insert in Art Forum magazine
last month.  She has also done a record with William S. Burroughs, and
John Girorno, called "You're the Guy I Want to Spend My Money With".
Her lyrics are often amusing and satirical, and the music is quite inter-
esting.  It's hard to classify; perhaps "electronic minimalist" might
give some idea.  Is anyone familiar with her stuff?  I'd be interested
in hearing others' opinions; I'm obviously excited about it.

						Bob Harper

cbostrum (12/31/82)

does anybody know anything about this musician other than that she has
produced an album called "Big Science"? other work, history, for example?
the album says that its contents are from `United States I-IV'. what is
this?
people unfamiliar with Anderson might want to check into it if they
like the so called "minimalist" music. its a little like a not so
minimal steve reich or philip glass pop-style with vocals. the vocals
are also interesting, mostly seeming to be a low key cynicism aimed
at various aspects of american society.

drabik (01/01/83)

Laurie Anderson, best known for her singles "O Superman" and "Walk
the Dog," was the subject of an interesting (surprise!) article in
Rolling Stone some time within the past six months.  Her name is on
the cover.

				... Here come the planes...

				Tim Drabik
				ihuxx!drabik

rlr (01/03/83)

Facts:
Laurie Anderson is a (conceptual?) artist who has recently gotten involved in
the New York "new music" scene.  Using a violin, a vocoder, and electronic
sundries, she produces music like "O Superman" (first record) and the later
album "United States I-IV".  The music is electronic in sound, repetitious
(supposedly a la Glass et al), and features Anderson on vocals (speech over
the music---no "singing" per se, except perhaps through the vocoder).

Opinions:
This woman is about as creative as a toothpick.  In using the "repetitive"
style of minimalists like Philip Glass, she is only repetitious and not much
more.  She apparently has very little to say, judging from the musical sounds
she produces and the words she accompanies them with ("This is your captain;
we are going down...").
Her words reflect the state of her art (and those who find it oh so fashionable
to like her work).

trb (01/03/83)

I am not "into" the minimalist avant garde music scene, but sometimes
WFMU (East Orange, NJ) plays Laurie Anderson or Philip Glass (a whole
side or more at a time).  I find their music soothing, kind of like
sitting on the beach listening to the ocean.  I can take it for long
periods of time, and I don't find it irritating.

I can't really see looking into these minimalists' works and finding
social relevance.  Clearly, if Laurie Anderson mumbled "Ronald Reagan
is a jerk" over her electronic music, you could construe that as
socially relevant, but when I listen to them I am not listening for
news and opinion.  (I admit, though, that I sometimes listen to "All
Things Considered" as background music.)

Hey, folks out there, if you indulge in minimalist art, do you do it
for the soothing cleansingness of it, or is there some transcendental
relevance which has so far escaped me?  (Sorry, there are only 9000
hackers reading netnews, clearly not a large enough group from which to
form a separate net.aesthetics discussion.)

	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

rb (01/04/83)

Wasn't she the narrator in the original cast of "Joseph and the Amazing
Technicolor Dreamcoat" in it's current Broadway revival?  I'm not positive,
but the name sounds familiar.

(Bye the way, "Joseph" is a great show.)

-Ronen

gary (01/05/83)

Hey, I LIKE Laurie Anderson, and not just to soothe myself. I think some of
her stuff is actually lyrical ("Let X = X" has a nice melody). Tape loops
DO sound repetitious, but I think it just takes getting used to it (4-4 beats
can be pretty repetitious too!). There are always going to be some folks that
are totally irritated by this kind of thing: must be in the genes.

                                        gary cottrell (seismo!rochester!gary)

rascal (01/06/83)

Fresh Weekly, a weekly supplement to Willamette Week, in Portland, OR, had
a big write up about Laurie Anderson a few months ago.  Too bad I lost my
copy.

malik@delphi.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) (08/02/84)

Subj; writing by Laurie Anderson

	Thumbing thru the July issue of Vogue magazine (a woman in
a bar had it), I came upon an article on Laurie Anderson.

	It lists 2 books/pamphlets by her.

	'Words in Reverse' - "Laurie Anderson's contribution to
Top Stories (228 Seventh Ave, NYC 10011), a series of pamphlets
devoted to experimental writing, mostly by women, many of them
artists."

	'United States' - "(Harper & Row), a lavish book that
attempts to reproduce all the images as well as all the words
from the six-and-one-half-hour show that Laurie Anderson put on
to wild acclaim at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in February
'83."

	I checked with a book store, the 'United States' book
is available in both hardcover ($24) and paperback (circa $14).
I've ordered it. Will let you know how it is.

	However, the reviewer thought that 'Words in Reverse'
was better. I'm going to check into that, too.

				,Karl

gtaylor@cornell.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (08/03/84)

Well, you puppies have sure been great in ferreting out the LA stuff. The
new Harper&Row is available in paper (20) or hdbnd. (30), and is in
essence a sort of fancily laid out and illustrated script for USA(1-1V).
The Top Stories stuff you may have trouble finding (I got mine in SLC
Utah at the Cosmic Airplane bookstore while on a recording-peddling jaunt).
It's a pleasant little slim volume, and you will find that a fair amount
of it appears in some form or other in the text of UNITED STATES. These are
generally some slightly older text pieces, which seem to date from the days
when US was a much shorter piece called "Americans on the Move".

If you are indeed hungry for more text stuff, you might want to check out
an anthology of work by various Post-Modernists, called "Individuals:
Post Movement Art in America"...I've forgotten the publisher (it might be
Dutton), but I am sure that the author/editor is Alan Sonnier. It contains
a text cycle of Laurie Anderson's work from the mid-seventies, called
"For Instants." I find it to be a pretty satisfying piece of writing,
right on the border between Literature/textuality and Performance/storytelling.
This book is out in paper and hardcover, and I'd recommend it right alongside
the "Performance Art" text that Karl mentioned recently as an introduction
to the whole Post-Modern enterprise.

greg
If you ask me, I may tell you   gtaylor@cornell
it's been this way for years	Gregory Taylor
I play my red guitar....	Theorynet (Theoryknot)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/24/85)

I'm a rabid Laurie Anderson fan, and was wondering what she's
been up to since the release of United States Live I - IV. Anybody
know if she has a new album in the works, or if she's planning a tour
in the near future? Anyone else out there a big fan? One of these days
I'm going to post a review of U. S. Live. Thanx.

====================================
Language is a virus from outer space
And hearing your name is better than
Seeing your face  -- L. Anderson
====================================

                                  -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

southard@unc.UUCP (Scott Southard) (10/25/85)

In article <502@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>I'm a rabid Laurie Anderson fan, and was wondering what she's
>been up to since the release of United States Live I - IV. Anybody
>know if she has a new album in the works, or if she's planning a tour
>in the near future? Anyone else out there a big fan? One of these days
>I'm going to post a review of U. S. Live. Thanx.
>
>====================================
>Language is a virus from outer space
>And hearing your name is better than
>Seeing your face  -- L. Anderson
>====================================
>
>                                  -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

Actually, "Language is a virus from outer space" is due to William Burroughs,
a friend of Laurie Anderson's.

By the way, although I missed her acclaimed United States I-IV tour I did
get to see her Mister Heartbreak tour, and it was wonderful.  If anybody
out there in net land ever gets the chance to see her, do it!

"Don't forget your mittens"

Scott Southard

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/25/85)

In article <397@unc.unc.UUCP> southard@unc.UUCP (Scott Southard) writes:

>Actually, "Language is a virus from outer space" is due to William Burroughs,
>a friend of Laurie Anderson's.

Whoops. Of course it is; my apologies to Bill Burroughs.

                                            -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/26/85)

>[Bill Ingogly:]

> I'm a rabid Laurie Anderson fan, and was wondering what she's been up
> to since the release of United States Live I - IV. Anybody know if she
> has a new album in the works, or if she's planning a tour in the near
> future? Anyone else out there a big fan?

She's working on a new album to be released sometime or another.  It is
about Artificial Intelligence, and in an interview I read she mentioned
Douglas Hofstadter and MIT.  Promises to be interesting!

			Your New Music information source,

			Doug Alan
			 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

morris@Shasta.ARPA (10/27/85)

Laurie Anderson was supposed to be touring last summer, but her show
at Berkeley (Sept 6) was cancelled.  Does anyone out there know why?

	Kathy Morris

jon@boulder.UUCP (Jonathan Corbet) (10/31/85)

[Did you ever think about how much your cities actually weigh?
			- R Buckminster Fuller via Laurie Anderson]

	It was with great dismay that I heard of the cancellation of Laurie
Anderson's entire fall tour.  The reason I heard, which is 100% rumor, is
that she is working on a film that is drasticly behind schedule.

jon
--
Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility