[comp.lang.c++] libg++ caution

jima@hplsla.HP.COM ( Jim Adcock) (05/26/88)

While I am not a lawyer, nor has the following been
discussed with a lawyer, conversations with Stallman
have clarified that use of libg++ in commercial
products can indeed lead to serious entanglements.

The simple answer is that people writing "commercial"
code are not "free" to use libg++, since libg++ comes
with serious restrictions on its commercial use.

Yet, like C, C++ compilers are only half complete
if one does not have a compatible set of libraries one
can use.  But suppliers of compilers seem very reluctant
to allow users of those compilers to include code from the
required libraries in commercial products developed by
compiling code on those compilers.

This is a major difficulty in developing code for
commercial products.  Many of the better compilers
one might want to use come with these library
entanglement problems, so one is not "free" to us
them, and has to settle for second best compilers
and/or languages.

??? Does anyone have a truly "public domain" set of compatible
libraries for C++ compilers, or would anyone be willing
to make such a set of libraries available to the general
public ??? If anyone was able and willing to make such a set
of libraries available, the commonality and portability of
C++ programs between compilers and various operating systems
would be greatly enhanced.

Any comments or suggestions on this problem would be appreciated.

The above casual comments reflect the concerns and feelings of this
author only, who would like very much to be able to use C++
in his day-to-day work.

- Jim Adcock, Hewlett-Packard, Lake Stevens -

laub@hub.ucsb.edu (Matt Wette (mwette%gauss@hub.ucsb.edu)) (06/03/88)

In article <6590056@hplsla.HP.COM> jima@hplsla.HP.COM (              Jim Adcock) writes:
>After further thought, I feel I must further
>extend my caution to the use of gcc and g++ to
>compile code, with or without the use of Gnu
>libraries.
>
>In that the act of compiling code under these machines
>may [will probably] inject compiled copies of parts of these
>compilers in your code, and that the compilers themselves contain
>copies of the Gnu licensing restrictions, your code may
>then fall subject to Gnu licensing restrictions.
>
>I can't say for sure.  I am not a lawyer.  Please construe
>the above comments as encouragement for you to go see a
>lawyer competent in software law before using this or
>any other "free" software that contain legalese, or even
>quasi-legalese statements.  Please discuss the detailed
>technical issues in how the tool works, and how you plan
>to use the tool CAREFULLY with that lawyer.

Some food for thought ....  The following is an excerpt from
emacs-18.51/etc/INTERVIEW, text of BYTE's interview with R. Stallman.

                           GNU'S NOT UNIX

                 Conducted by David Betz and Jon Edwards

              Richard Stallman discusses his public-domain
                    UNIX-compatible software system
                           with BYTE editors
                              (July 1986)

Copyright (C) 1986 Richard Stallman.  Permission is granted to make and
distribute copies of this article as long as the copyright and this notice
appear on all copies.
 .
 .
 .
BYTE: Do you obtain any rights over the executable code derived from the C
compiler?

Stallman: The copyright law doesn't give me copyright on output from the
compiler, so it doesn't give me a way to say anything about that, and in
fact I don't try to.  I don't sympathize with people developing proprietary
products with any compiler, but it doesn't seem especially useful to try to
stop them from developing them with this compiler, so I am not going to.

BYTE: Do your restrictions apply if people take pieces of your code to
produce other things as well?

Stallman: Yes, if they incorporate with changes any sizable piece.  If it
were two lines of code, that's nothing; copyright doesn't apply to that.
Essentially, I have chosen these conditions so that first there is a
copyright, which is what all the software hoarders use to stop everybody
from doing anything, and then I add a notice giving up part of those
rights.  So the conditions talk only about the things that copyright applies
to.  I don't believe that the reason you should obey these conditions is
because of the law.  The reason you should obey is because an upright person
when he distributes software encourages other people to share it further.

Matt

jima@hplsla.HP.COM ( Jim Adcock) (06/04/88)

| For those who prefer to form their own opinions, I have appended the
| text of the license that applies to G++.
|
| I always find it strange that software developers wish to benefit from
| using freed software, but don't wish to past that benefit on.

I consider the issue of whether certain software tool or library is
"free" to be used or not to be a valid technical issue -- just as much
as a warning that the "turkey" program might distroy your file system is
a valid technical issue to bring up among users who might unknowingly get
their hands on the "turkey" program.

If comp.lang.c++ is not the right forum to discuss possible problems with
g++ and libg++, then pray tell, what would be the right forum ???

Regards the license, the problems seem to primarily center around the
issue of when is an independent software work developed using FSF tools
a derivative of those FSF tools, or not.

If the act of compiling your independent software program using FSF tools
places coded versions of FSF code in the generated results, then there
might be some claim that your work is a derivative work of the FSF tool.

But most compilers and libraries DO in fact do this.  If FSF wanted
program writers to be free to use gcc or g++ to compile whatever independent
programs they develop, for whatever ends they choose -- then presumably
FSF would be willing to make a statement to that effect.  We have not had
any luck getting this.  On the contrary.

I personally would be happy to pass on the benefits of "free" software use
to other software developers.  I would happily give some of my own salary
to "free" software developers who develop tools that I am "free" to use.

But in general, I and most of software writers are not "free" to allow
our software development work to be usurped by proponents of "free"
software.  Any software that we choose to place in the "free" domain
must be a conscious rational choice on our part,  not an act of coercion,
nor a "mistake" made on our part as a result of our misunderstanding of
legal licenses.  And in general, we are not "free" to do with our
software development work what we please, since in general we work for
one or another company, which puts restrictions on our actions.  This is
a choice we choose to make.  Stallman made a different choice.

But surprisingly or not, many of these same companies ARE willing to allow
much of our work to pass into the public domain.  Much software developed
at these companies does become the common property of software developers
everywhere.  Many ideas developed at these companies are published in
public journals, for use by everyone.  Many of these companies, and employees
of these companies donate millions, if not billions of dollars to charitable
organizations, organizations that work for the benefit of everyone.

But these charitable actions must be conscious, rational decisions on our
part, not the result of our mistaken assuptions about various legal licenses.

If I or others screw up in our understanding of these licenses, at the very
least we could lose our jobs.  At the worst we could get personally sued.

And that doesn't sound very "free" to me.

My own opinions only, and not a substitute for competent legal advice.