[comp.lang.c++] GNU C++ inquiry

xchute@hscfvax.harvard.edu (T.Goode) (09/09/88)

  I hope to begin some object oriented programming using C++ on a
SUN 386i soon to be delivered.  I have noticed references to the GNU C++
compiler in this news group over the past few days.  I have several
naive questions:

	1) Where to I ftp for the GNU C++?
	2) Will it run on a SUN386?
	3) Is it a reasonable first C++ compiler for a weekend C programmer?
	4) What alternatives are appropriate?
	5) Which books on the topic provide the most benign introduction?

The proposed major application is the development of a frame based semantic
network for a medical diagnosis classification system.

Cheers,
Chris Chute M.D.			IntN: chute@fermat.mayo.edu
Department of Health Sciences Research	(507)284-5506
Mayo Clinic / Foundation
Rochester, MN 55905

randolph@ektools.UUCP (Gary L. Randolph) (09/12/88)

>   I hope to begin some object oriented programming using C++ on a
> SUN 386i soon to be delivered.  I have noticed references to the GNU C++
> compiler in this news group over the past few days.  I have several
> naive questions:
>
> 	1) Where to I ftp for the GNU C++?
> 	2) Will it run on a SUN386?
> 	3) Is it a reasonable first C++ compiler for a weekend C programmer?
> 	4) What alternatives are appropriate?
> 	5) Which books on the topic provide the most benign introduction?
As a weekend C programmer, you should find the third text very friendly...
					Gary

In article <618@hscfvax.harvard.edu>, xchute@hscfvax.harvard.edu (T.Goode) writes:
>   I hope to begin some object oriented programming using C++ on a
> SUN 386i soon to be delivered.  I have noticed references to the GNU C++
> compiler in this news group over the past few days.  I have several
> naive questions:
>
> 	1) Where to I ftp for the GNU C++?
> 	2) Will it run on a SUN386?
> 	3) Is it a reasonable first C++ compiler for a weekend C programmer?
> 	4) What alternatives are appropriate?
> 	5) Which books on the topic provide the most benign introduction?
Also, when you do get Gnu up and running, you should find it to be a very good implementation of the language.
	That's what I have learned on (guess I should not end with a preposition when sending to Harvard).