[comp.lang.c++] DOS C++ translator memory limitations

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (09/20/88)

We have Guidelines' implementation of AT&T C++, but find its memory
limitations annoying.  It bombs with "out of memory" when trying
to compile programs with very many classes, or when any TSRs over
a few K are present.

Does the Glockenspiel/Oasys "Advantage C++" have this same limitation,
or is it able to do something smarter like use expanded/extended memory,
swap part of its table out to disk, or whatever?
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net

dspoon@fenix.Atlanta.NCR.COM (David B. Witherspoon) (09/21/88)

In article <352@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>We have Guidelines' implementation of AT&T C++, but find its memory
>limitations annoying.  It bombs with "out of memory" when trying
>to compile programs with very many classes, or when any TSRs over
>a few K are present.
>
>Does the Glockenspiel/Oasys "Advantage C++" have this same limitation,
>or is it able to do something smarter like use expanded/extended memory,
>swap part of its table out to disk, or whatever?
>--
>
>Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
>DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net
>						(206) 455-9935

Yes, Mark, it has the same problem as Guidelines.  That is the main
reason why we are looking into Zortech for our C++ compiler.  We intend
to keep source files on a LAN drive, and with LAN access drivers
installed, neither Guidelines nor Advantage will run.

Also, I have a C++ program that Advantage CANNOT compile.  Advantage
creates variable names that are passed on to the C compiler (MSC in our
case).  The problem is that Advantage creates a couple of variables that
are not unique within 31 characters, which is MicroSoft's limit, and so
I get a redefinition of the variables.  Calls to Advantage resulted in
something to the effect of "tough noogies".  Although we could probably
deal with the problem by running a sed script agains the resultant C
file to fix the non-uniqueness, but who wants to be in that business?

-------------------------------David Witherspoon-------------------------------
D.Witherspoon@Atlanta.NCR.COM         | "It's all just 1's and 0's you know!"
NCR Sys Engineering-Retail/Atlanta    |
MY OPINIONS...ALL MINE!!!             |                         - me

wgh@Grumpy.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (09/21/88)

In article <352@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>We have Guidelines' implementation of AT&T C++, but find its memory
>limitations annoying. It bombs with "out of memory"[on large code ]...
>Does the Glockenspiel/Oasys "Advantage C++" have this same limitation?

I made the mistake of buying Guidelines C++ and I found the same
thing: it works (but compiles slowly) for toy-sized programs, but it
runs out of memory when you do any significant class inheritance.
I don't have the Glockenspiel/Oasys version, but I think if you check
you will find that Guidelines and Oasys ported the same AT&T program:
cfront, the front end which translates C++ into C.  Unless Oasys
did magic, they should have the same memory problem (it is the same
program, after all!).
  There is a simple solution: Zortech C++ (Zortech, Inc., Arlington,
Massachusetts) has a native C++ (does not use cfront, goes directly
to .obj form) which compiles much faster than the cfront-based
versions, uses less memory, and costs lots less ($99).
  I have shifted to Zortech.
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!Grumpy!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"What one fool can do, another can!"

hugh@maths.tcd.ie (Hugh Grant) (09/28/88)

What! Memory probles! Well... we are talking about DOS, aren't we? :-)

Seriously, though, the Glockenspiel product is somewhat better
as it has been beaten on to make it smaller, and should have more
free space to work in. but there's not much to be easily done with a
640k DOS machine. Perhaps you should try OS/2... :-)

Hugh Grant			hugh%maths.tcd.ie@ukc.ac.uk

Once of the School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin.,
now of Glockenspiel Ltd., Dublin.