[comp.lang.c++] Back to the g++ library pit, briefly.

daveb@gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) (11/13/88)

In <2060@cbnews.ATT.COM> shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) writes:
>I like the price [of g++], too, but your typical client does not seem to
>like the idea of paying for the development of software which they are
>(apparently) then required to give away.  I know that the Copyleft has
>been discussed to death here, but I still can't see how to sell it to
>clients especially since I'm not entirely certain that agree with or
>even undertand it.

The major problem with g++ (aside from no 1.30!) is the copyleft on the
library.  As far as I can figure, there is no restriction on the code
written by the compiler proper, only on use of the library.

So, what would be wrong with buying the AT&T c++ source, tossing away
cfront, and using the library source with g++?  $175 + $2k for complete
source code of a compiler and a library with no restrictions is very
reasonable compared to the more formal commercial offerings.

Is there something I'm missing?

-dB