[comp.lang.c++] Public Domain C++ for Sun 3/50

rdas@suntops.UUCP (Robin Das) (01/31/89)

Does anyone know where I can obtain a public domain version of C++ for
a Sun 3/50.  I've heard of G++ (GNU)?  Does G++ require GNU's C compiler, or
can I use Sun standard C compiler with it?

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (02/01/89)

rdas@santa_fe.UUCP (Robin Das) wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can obtain a public domain version of C++ for
> a Sun 3/50.  I've heard of G++ (GNU)?  Does G++ require GNU's C compiler, or
> can I use Sun standard C compiler with it?

Yes, G++ is part of the GNU distribution.  It's a compiler (produces object
code), not a translator, and uses the GCC back end.  So you need GCC as well.
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

vilot@ie0013.dec.com (Michael J. Vilot) (02/02/89)

> Does anyone know where I can obtain a public domain version of C++ for
> a Sun 3/50.  I've heard of G++ (GNU)?  Does G++ require GNU's C compiler, or
> can I use Sun standard C compiler with it?

`g++' is a compiler, not a front-end for your local C compiler.
You need to have `gcc' to build `g++', if you can't get a Sun 3/50 executable.

Note carefully that some semantics are different from `cfront', and that
libraries built with `cfront' are not compatible with code compiled with
`g++' (Set me straight if your new release fixes this, Michael!)

Mike Vilot			Self-employed.  Consulting at:
e-mail:	       			vilot%csdpie.dec@decwrl.dec.com
when that fails:    		(508)467-3631 [for now]