[comp.lang.c++] ioctl macros and g++

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (05/17/89)

When using ioctl macros under g++, don't forget the '-traditional'
switch. This amusing little difference kept me occupied for quite a
while.

Mark Leisher
New Mexico State University

void gnus::insert_some_amusing_signature_here() {}

rfg@riunite.ACA.MCC.COM (Ron Guilmette) (05/18/89)

In article <MLEISHER.89May16180633@picuris.nmsu.edu> mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) writes:

>When using ioctl macros under g++, don't forget the '-traditional'
>switch. This amusing little difference kept me occupied for quite a
>while.

I have been bitten here too.

Actually, what you need to do is to install *BOTH* GCC and G++ and
then make sure that the particular (GNU) preprocessor that G++ is
invoking by default knows where to find the "gcc-include" directory
(which should have gotten installed alone with GCC) as well as the
"g++-include" directory.

One more thing.  When installing GCC, make sure to do the "fixincludes"
step.  This fixes up the (non-ANSI) ioctl.h include file so that it
can work right with a real ANSI-fied compiler (like GCC).

--
// Ron Guilmette  -  MCC  -  Experimental Systems Kit Project
// 3500 West Balcones Center Drive,  Austin, TX  78759  -  (512)338-3740